ANNOUNCEMENT
From : Mr. Rohani
For : TEFL 2 (Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 14.30 – 16.00, B3-320)
Re : Online Assignment
THANK YOU for doing the past online assignment. I am pleased that you have learned many valuable points from the reading I assigned.
As I am still away, the face to face class on Wednesday, 1 April 2009 will be replaced with an online assignment as follows:
A. Work in groups of four.
B. Carry out a microteaching using the reading passage and reading exercises you have prepared. You can do the microteaching anywhere you like. The duration is 15 minutes per teacher.
C. Write a “Reflection Essay” (650-700 words). Publish the essay on this blog under “MICROTEACHING REFLECTION – WEDNESDAY 14.30”. Click on “Comment” to publish your essay.
D. Write your full name and student number on top of your essay.
E. Under your name, write the names of your group members.
F. Write the essay individually.
G. The essay should answer the following questions:
1) What is the objective of your lesson?
2) What is the reading passage about?
3) What kinds of reading exercises did you prepare?
4) How effective was the exercises as you used them in the microteaching?
5) What have you learned from preparing the reading exercises and doing the microteaching?
6) What should you do to improve your material and the microteaching?
HAPPY MICROTEACHING.
FEEL THE EXPERIENCE.
SHARE THE LESSON.
Mr. Rohani
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
NAME : NINDYA PRADITA
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406055
GROUP : FARIDA LIYANA
NINDYA PRADITA
HERLINA DYAH MEGAWATI
HARINDA RARASATI
THE REFLECTION OF MY MICROTEACHING
In the end of the lesson students are able to consider the issue about a reading passage is my lesson’s objective. Then, students are able to mention the main idea, topic sentence and the important things related to the reading passage by skimming and scanning. Find the inference is the other lesson’s objective in this teaching and learning process.
The reading passage entitled Rainbow Passage. Many issue of how makes a rainbow is tells in this reading passage. Each expert has their own opinion about it. Moreover, there is a legend about how makes a rainbow, that is, a boiling pot of gold at one end.
Showing a colorful picture of rainbow I used to done my BKOF. Let the students to guess vocabulary related to the picture. Giving the difficult vocabulary that they do not know so that they are already known I used to improve their vocabulary. Then, together we read the reading passage. Asked the students to tell what the reading passage is about and mentioned some experts existed in the reading passage. Because of the limited time I give to them, they still confused to answer. Next, I taught them how to skim and scan the reading passage so that they could answer these questions easily even they just read in a few minute. Giving the example first for done my modeling.
True false, refers to pronoun, form of verb and consider the issues were reading exercises that I prepared for ICOT. First, to assess the students whether they understand or not the content of the reading passage I used the true false test item. Example: Aristotle thought that the rainbow was caused by reflection of the sun's rays by the rain. The students have to choose whether this statement is true or false. Second, to assess the ability of the students using the appropriate pronoun I used refers to pronoun test item. Example: This is a very common type of bow, “one” showing mainly red and yellow, with little or no green or blue. The students have to ask what “one” in this sentence refers to. Third, to asses the skills of the students in grammar I used the form of verb test item. Example: When a man … (look) for something beyond his reach, his friends say he … (look) for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The students have to add the appropriate verb in it. Fourth, have a table in this test item divided in people and his opinion about how makes a rainbow. To assess how deep the students consider the issues in the reading passage. Finally, have a discussion in group of three to answer the test given. For JCOT, I used this test item.
To assess how deep the students’ understanding about the reading passage, these exercise was quite effective. In addition, to assess many aspects of the students’ competence, I also used these exercise. By many test items that I prepared and construct them into a reading comprehension I can assess many competences of students only in one meeting.
Be a teacher looks like an easy job but in real world it is full of challenges. Creative thinking is one of the important things needed in teaching. Prepare an eye catching visual aid to attract the students was one of the things I have done. On the one hand, I should make a comfortable and fun teaching and learning process. On the other hand, I should focus on my lesson’s objective. Moreover, consider many aspects needed in my lesson’s objective to assess students are another important thing. Make vary in test items, but still related to my lesson objective made me use all of my energy. Because of the lesson’s objectives play important role in the teaching learning process, it should be clear.
To improve my material and the microteaching, I need learn more and more practice teaching. By doing these things, I can learn from my experience and mistakes that I have done before so that I can more readily to prepare my material, microteaching and the real teaching and learning process.
HERLINA DYAH MEGAWATI 2201406054
ReplyDeleteROMBEL 6
GROUP:
FARIDA LIYANA
NINDYA PRADITA
HERLINA DYAH MEGAWATI HARINDA RARASATI
REFLECTION ESSAY
In my reading passage, I try to find out whether the students catch the idea or not. The objective of my lesson is students should be able to identify the reading passage. By reading the story, students will know the reading passage about. And then try to catch the moral value in the story. The students also ask to retell the story with their own opinion. It gives students more convenience in the class and gives them to speak up in front of the class.
The reading passage is about a young man being arrogant with his father because he thought that his father is not care with him anymore. In his graduated day, he wants his father purchased a car, but his father just give him a Bible. He feels so disappointed and decided to leave his father alone. Many years passed the young man become successful. But one day, he received a telegram told that his father had passed away. He come back and found the Bible again. He opened the Bible and shocked when he found a key car in it. He didn’t think that his father always care with him. This passage gives us an idea that we should always respect to our father and never think to look down at somebody, moreover with our parents. I also give the students a picture that related with the passage, it makes students know the plot.
The reading exercises divided into three parts. First understands the text. Students should choose the right answer by checking right or false. Second is about adding the missing words in the paragraph. In this kind of question, students should be able to understand the paragraph first. However, most of students answer this question by guessing. The last question is students are ask to make group and try to share with others. This question gives students to speak with their friends and compare with their daily lives. By the end of this question, students will understand whether it is right or not.
This question is effective because students catch the idea of this passage. The various kind of exercise also makes students more understand about the text. It means that each student have a different question with others when they have to do the exercise in the group work.
Furthermore, when I prepared the reading exercise, I learned so much. With the exercise, I know what I’m going to do. And the exercise is helpful, when students get bored with the passage, we should give them an exercise. The exercise will challenge for students. They will try to do the exercise with group or individually. I give a media that will help them to describe the passage about. It also gives a various kinds of lesson. When we explain the passage or story but we don’t have any media for describing the text, it will make us confused. Children are not only interested in how things work; children are also interested in how life works.
To improving the material and micro teaching, I should learn more deeply how to teach students enthusiastically. Teaching a student is not easy as we thought. Even with the material in hands. But at least it will give us a way to teach step by step. When the students are uncomfortable with the situation in the class, we should give more attention to them.
We should understand the emotionally of the students. What we do know is that any feeling begins with a thought. If your thoughts are "uncomfortable" to you, your feelings will be the same way. It is also happen with students. In addition, never try to push away the problems or distance yourself from them - you will never solve them. We have to closely relate with them. The most important is motivation. Motivation can come from many sources. People can be motivated by fear. They can also be motivated by money. Competition can also motivate. In my opinion, the love of teaching children is the purest form of motivation. And the most important is education is not about competition, it is about nurturing children.
FARIDA LIYANA
ReplyDelete2201406051
Wednesday, 14.30
TEFL 2
MICROTEACHING READING
GROUP: FARIDA LIYANA
HERLINA DYAH MEGAWATI
NINDYA PRADITA
HARINDA RARASATI
What is the objective of the lesson?
The objectives of my microteaching are:
At the end of the lesson the students are able to answer the questions that follow the passage.
At the end of the lesson the students are able to retell the passage in front of the class.
At the end of the lesson the students are able to find the difficult words and translate it into Indonesia.
At the end of the study the students are able to find the main idea in each paragraph.
At the end of the study the students are able to find the topic of the passage.
What is the reading passage about?
The reading passage tells us about the natural conservation named Danau Sentarum Wildlife Reserve located in Kalimantan. The reserve has a tremendous value because there we can find so many extraordinary floras and a number of specimens. Besides that the reserves possesses very rich fauna.
What kind of reading exercise that you prepare?
The reading exercises that I prepare are:
Short answer question which is contains 9 questions.
Filling the blanks space on a given paragraph.
Filling the table given with an appropriate word.
Naming the animals based on the clues.
How effective was the exercise as you used them in the microteaching?
The exercise that I used in the microteaching is very effective. By the exercise that I have given the students are able to understand the whole passage more detail. Besides that, the students can get more information and knowledge after read and then answer the questions that follow the passage. The exercise can be the means to asses and to test the students’ understanding about the passage and also about the materials.
What have you learn from preparing the reading exercises and doing the microteaching?
From preparing the reading exercises and doing the microteaching I learn so many things.
First of all, teaching isn’t easy. We have to prepare well before doing it. Make sure that all we need is in hand. When preparing the reading exercises we have to match this with the materials given and the level of the students. When doing a microteaching the most important thing is don’t be nervous. You have to believe that you can do that. If in the beginning you feel nervous, all you have prepared before will flow away. We can do even say nothing. We’ll become speechless. This is the most common problem that happens in almost microteaching that is done by us, becoming speechless because of our nervousness. For that reason it is important for us to prepare anything before do the microteaching in order we can do well during. And the thing that is also important is always try and try. Dare to try improving our ability in microteaching because we can learn from our mistake over and over again until we can do the best. As a teacher we also have to be creative and innovative. Creative to make things new to make the students don’t feel boring and also innovative in solving problems that happen in the classroom. Another thing that is also important is we have to be flexible. Flexible in adapt with situation in the classroom when the teaching-learning is happening. We should know when we are having jokes and when we have to be serious.
What should you do to improve your material and the microteaching?
To improve my material and microteaching I should learn from anything. It can be from my lecturer or my friends that is good in doing a microteaching. Besides that, we can also search a lot of information from the internet or handout about microteaching. It is very important to me to learn about microteaching. Because in the end I’ll be a teacher who is my main job is teaching. So by learning so many things about microteaching I hope I can be a good teacher and by doing microteaching I can do a lot of exercise before I become a real teacher. The most important thing is I will do the best in my microteaching.
CICIK WULANDARI
ReplyDelete2201406590
GROUP:
1. ROCHYANI L
2. NUR ALIF F
MY REFLECTION OF MICROTEACHING
My objective of my lesson is to improve students’ ability in reading skill. My reading passage is about movie entitle chicken run. It tells about group of chicken which are desperate to escape from a prison like chicken farm, which is carry out by an evil couple called Mr. and Mrs. Tweedy. By reading this passage students are going to get the lesson about what is the importance of ‘joint hands’. When reading the text, the students get the pattern of present tense sentences.
When I have microteaching, I acted as chicken and said ‘cockle doodle do’. It is I used for my warning up. In addition, I had shown a chicken picture. I asked students to guess what I have acted. Before reading the passage, I give them some question related to the topic, such as whether they have seen the film Chicken Run, the chicken shut up on the chicken farms like Chicken Run, and what it is talked about. In the first, I read the text loudly. After finishing it, students are asked to read loudly. It is important to improve their pronunciation. Some students get easy to remember the pattern while they are reading loudly. Once, they found out an error pronunciation I asked them to looking for the correct one and practice it for many times. For ‘while reading’ activities I have cloze test taken from the text. It is summarized from the passage into some paragraph and students had to fill in the blanks without looking back to the passage.
For ‘after reading’ activities pupils have to answers some questions related to the passage. The first assignment, they are asked to guess the meaning some words which are found in the text. The purpose of this is students are able to guess the meaning of some difficult words related to the passage. Here students do not allow to looking for each of words in dictionary. They just guess the meaning of it in their comprehension of the text. The words which I have are:
1. Prison
2. Lines
3. Pies
4. Evil
5. To land
6. To save
7. To lay
8. Fence
9. Desperate
10. Circus
11. To escape
12. Deal
13. Rooster
14. To hide
The next exercise is answering some questions. The pupils, however, do not looking back and reading the passage anymore. They just allow remembering what they have learned from the text. The questions that I have are:
1. Why are the chickens unhappy about their live?
2. Who is their leader?
3. Where has Rocky escaped from?
4. What does Mrs. tweedy want to do?
5. What do the chickens want to do?
Exercises which I have are effective enough. By using cloze test, guessing the meaning and comprehension exercises students will remember the important things in the passage get enthusiasm in reading and remember the pattern of structuring sentences.
While I have microteaching, I found so many advantages during did it. Sometimes I do not know how to make the topics related with other. The first lesson of the microteaching is the way how to make students enjoy in reading class. It is important to make all the students in one line while each of them has their own characteristics. The second lesson is how I find confidence. When I opened my class I am absolutely nervous. To get rid of my nervous I acted as a chicken, so that I can do many physical activities and make a laugh of students.
When having microteaching, I found many things which I had to improve in reading class. The most important is how to make students more attractive and active in reading class. The passage I have should have many more difficult words. In the hope by reading the passage students are able to improve their comprehension and the difficult words in the passage. In addition, I should make the class of the reading more colorful. In that case, I do not have to coloring the classroom, just make some game related to the topics or having some activities which let students to have their physical activity. Here that is why in teaching-learning need an art, how make students appreciate and fun in learning.
LINA FRANSISKAWATI(2201406005)
ReplyDeleteROMBEL 6
GROUP:
SATITI AYU KUSUMAWATI(06513)
DINI AGISTA(06520)
FIDYA MARTIYANI P.(06528)
My Microteaching Reflection
Experience in practicing microteaching is very important for me as a would be teacher. Experiences can serve as the basis for critical reactions of the students to our teaching, as well as ways to gather information that we need to know the objective in the teaching and learning process. In teaching reading, we need to know the objective of our lesson, the material, exercises for students, the strategies how to teach reading effectively.
What is the objective of my lesson? The objectives of my lesson are by the end of the lesson, my students should be able to comprehend and produce the new vocabulary items in the passage entitled “My Dog, Elsa”; read and understand the information about Dalmatian; produce sentences using Simple Present Tense; make noun phrases; make a good arrangement of adjectives as either the pre-modifier or post-modifier of the head in the noun phrase; and finally they are able to tell and give a clear description about their own pet (if any).
My reading passage is about Elsa, my Dalmatian dog. The purpose of this text is to describe the physical features of Elsa. But it also explains about the Elsa’s distinction with others Dalmatian in common. To attract students' attention, I used media in my micoteching. I used Elsa's photo album in order to show them what Elsa looks like since it's impossible to bring Elsa in front of my students. Elsa is a dog so it may be possible that she will hurt children. As a result, students may not have any excitement to read and know more about Elsa.
After reading activity, I asked students to do the exercises that I’ve prepared before. Firstly, I checked their comprehension by asking questions as follows:
1.Who is Elsa?
2.What kind of purebred is Elsa?
3.What is the typical characteristic of Elsa?
4.Etc.
While asking them, I tried to explain the difficult words, not to translate them. Then I gave them multiple choice items to answer, as follows:
1.What kind of purebred is Elsa?
a.Bulldog c. Chihuahua
b.Dalmatian d. Golden Retriever
2.How is her coat?
a.short, dense, fine c. long, dense, bad
b.long, dense, fine d. short, dense, bad
3.What color is Elsa’s eyes ?
a.Black c. Blue
b.Brown d. Grey
4.Etc.
And I also asked them to fill the list of difficult words with my explanation about the translation of the words. I think to assess how deep the students’ understanding about the reading passage and aspects of the students’ competence , these exercises that I used in the microteaching was quite effective, since students can answer my questions and the multiple-choice items correctly. They can retell the passage and also can tell and describe their own pet at home by their own words.
I’ve learned many things from preparing the reading excises and doing the microteaching. They are:
By giving them question related to the passage, we know whether students understand or not the information implied in the text.
By allowing them to speak, we have intrinsically motivated them to speak and practice more.
Including the new vocabulary items, will help them to add their collection of vocabulary.
By choosing a reading passage that corresponds to their background knowledge, level of knowledge, and also their excitement, students likely more easily comprehend the intention implied in the text.
To improve my material, I’ll try to give variety of texts that more attract the students’ excitement in order not only to widen their knowledge and vocabulary but also to gain their desire to read a lot. I think my microteaching is far from perfect, and be a teacher looks like an easy job but in real world it is full of challenges which need more energy and creative thinking. So, I’ll try to practice more and more and also learn from my mistakes in the previous microteaching.
Anisa Eka Trihastuti
ReplyDelete2201406037
Group:
- Anisa Eka Trihastuti
- Widya Oktarina
- Ummi Ashim Azzahra
TEFL 2/ Rombel 06
A Reflection Essay on My Microteaching
In my microteaching, I chose a book entitled “Baboon Troops” written by Jo Windsor. The targets of my microteaching are children. This passage explicitly is about the knowledge of baboons, for instance, the descriptions of baboon, baboons’ life, food, and so fourth, in addition, the genre of this passage is report, obviously, students begin to get acquainted with report generally. Why I chose this passage, in my opinion, it is sufficient and understandable enough for students’ language competence.
The objective of my lesson is at the end of this lesson; the students should be able to modify noun phrases. Furthermore, they should be able to distinguish between report and descriptive text generally. Moreover, they should be able to maintain the difficult words in that passage. In addition, the students should be able to scan, skim the passage as fast as possible and comprehend it well.
In my microteaching, first of all, in my BKOF (building knowledge of baboons), I showed the pictures of baboons, and then, asked them what are the pictures in English. From the onset, they had an idea that the pictures are monkeys. It means that they had no knowledge about baboons, which are kind of monkeys. Therefore, I led them to gain the word baboons (new vocabulary) by asking them some questions relates to baboons, for instance, “where do they live?”, “what is their food?”, “have you ever seen them?”, after that, I gave them some clues, such as the initial letter, the word consists of how many letters, etc. It will let them to guess and think critically. Noting that if they really have no idea about the word, ask them to look up in dictionary. The students can get used to make friends with dictionary. Then, I started to read the two first sentences for modeling. Next, I asked the student next to me to read the next two sentences, and then the student next to him/ her take turn, and so on until the entire students got chances to read the passage loudly.
Assessing whether the students catch the material well or not, I gave them some reading exercises. I prepared three kinds of reading exercises. First, ‘Fill in the Blank’: the students have to fulfill 30 missing words in the passage that they have already learned. Finding it easy to them to do, I provided the answers in the box. However, making it a little bit complicated, I also put some word distracters in order to deceive them. Next is ‘Matching Fun’: the students should match 10 words in column A to B appropriately. The last but not least, ‘True or False’: the students should consider whether 10 sentences are true or false.
The exercises as I used them in the microteaching were quiet effective. For instance, ‘Fill in the Blank’ would be done in groups. I divided the class into three groups, noting that the items are a lot, so it will be better to do it in groups. The aims to practice the students’ memory for JCOT, bring them where you are through their way (do something that they want to learn/ games), students can enjoy it, and they will be unconscious if they are assessed, so, it can release students’ anxiety. ‘Making Fun’ was done in pairs. Both of them are effective ways to train students’ cooperation given the group works. On the other hand, ‘True or False’ was done individually for ICOT, it aims to measure students’ comprehension about the passage individually.
I have learned a lot of precious things from preparing reading exercises and microteaching. For instance, we have to consider the amount of items exercises, the time to do it, are they appropriate with the objectives?, the validity of the exercises, for children, especially face validity, including the complexity, moreover, the exercises should be various and so forth. While, by microteaching, I have learned that teaching reading need to prepare well, especially the choices of the reading passage, it should be fit to curriculum and it has moral value that can give great learning experiences.
I should be more careful in choosing the reading material, it means, my reading materials had better involve moral values and be fit to curriculum. Furthermore, I can add visual aids as many as possible. I may be develop more attractive games and encourage the students’ notion to read. For my microteaching, I think, I can improve by using different style in teaching, for example, we read a narrative text like a drama, on the other word, we dramatize the reading making it livelier, with a proper intonation, expression, etc. Oral or silent strategy that I choose depends upon the classroom situations and students themselves.
A Reflection Essay on My Microteaching
In my microteaching, I chose a book entitled “Baboon Troops” written by Jo Windsor. The targets of my microteaching are children. This passage explicitly is about the knowledge of baboons, for instance, the descriptions of baboon, baboons’ life, food, and so fourth, in addition, the genre of this passage is report, obviously, students begin to get acquainted with report generally. Why I chose this passage, in my opinion, it is sufficient and understandable enough for students’ language competence.
The objective of my lesson is at the end of this lesson; the students should be able to modify noun phrases. Furthermore, they should be able to distinguish between report and descriptive text generally. Moreover, they should be able to maintain the difficult words in that passage. In addition, the students should be able to scan, skim the passage as fast as possible and comprehend it well.
In my microteaching, first of all, in my BKOF (building knowledge of baboons), I showed the pictures of baboons, and then, asked them what are the pictures in English. From the onset, they had an idea that the pictures are monkeys. It means that they had no knowledge about baboons, which are kind of monkeys. Therefore, I led them to gain the word baboons (new vocabulary) by asking them some questions relates to baboons, for instance, “where do they live?”, “what is their food?”, “have you ever seen them?”, after that, I gave them some clues, such as the initial letter, the word consists of how many letters, etc. It will let them to guess and think critically. Noting that if they really have no idea about the word, ask them to look up in dictionary. The students can get used to make friends with dictionary. Then, I started to read the two first sentences for modeling. Next, I asked the student next to me to read the next two sentences, and then the student next to him/ her take turn, and so on until the entire students got chances to read the passage loudly.
Assessing whether the students catch the material well or not, I gave them some reading exercises. I prepared three kinds of reading exercises. First, ‘Fill in the Blank’: the students have to fulfill 30 missing words in the passage that they have already learned. Finding it easy to them to do, I provided the answers in the box. However, making it a little bit complicated, I also put some word distracters in order to deceive them. Next is ‘Matching Fun’: the students should match 10 words in column A to B appropriately. The last but not least, ‘True or False’: the students should consider whether 10 sentences are true or false.
The exercises as I used them in the microteaching were quiet effective. For instance, ‘Fill in the Blank’ would be done in groups. I divided the class into three groups, noting that the items are a lot, so it will be better to do it in groups. The aims to practice the students’ memory for JCOT, bring them where you are through their way (do something that they want to learn/ games), students can enjoy it, and they will be unconscious if they are assessed, so, it can release students’ anxiety. ‘Making Fun’ was done in pairs. Both of them are effective ways to train students’ cooperation given the group works. On the other hand, ‘True or False’ was done individually for ICOT, it aims to measure students’ comprehension about the passage individually.
I have learned a lot of precious things from preparing reading exercises and microteaching. For instance, we have to consider the amount of items exercises, the time to do it, are they appropriate with the objectives?, the validity of the exercises, for children, especially face validity, including the complexity, moreover, the exercises should be various and so forth. While, by microteaching, I have learned that teaching reading need to prepare well, especially the choices of the reading passage, it should be fit to curriculum and it has moral value that can give great learning experiences.
I should be more careful in choosing the reading material, it means, my reading materials had better involve moral values and be fit to curriculum. Furthermore, I can add visual aids as many as possible. I may be develop more attractive games and encourage the students’ notion to read. For my microteaching, I think, I can improve by using different style in teaching, for example, we read a narrative text like a drama, on the other word, we dramatize the reading making it livelier, with a proper intonation, expression, etc. Oral or silent strategy that I choose depends upon the classroom situations and students themselves.
A Reflection Essay on My Microteaching
In my microteaching, I chose a book entitled “Baboon Troops” written by Jo Windsor. The targets of my microteaching are children. This passage explicitly is about the knowledge of baboons, for instance, the descriptions of baboon, baboons’ life, food, and so fourth, in addition, the genre of this passage is report, obviously, students begin to get acquainted with report generally. Why I chose this passage, in my opinion, it is sufficient and understandable enough for students’ language competence.
The objective of my lesson is at the end of this lesson; the students should be able to modify noun phrases. Furthermore, they should be able to distinguish between report and descriptive text generally. Moreover, they should be able to maintain the difficult words in that passage. In addition, the students should be able to scan, skim the passage as fast as possible and comprehend it well.
In my microteaching, first of all, in my BKOF (building knowledge of baboons), I showed the pictures of baboons, and then, asked them what are the pictures in English. From the onset, they had an idea that the pictures are monkeys. It means that they had no knowledge about baboons, which are kind of monkeys. Therefore, I led them to gain the word baboons (new vocabulary) by asking them some questions relates to baboons, for instance, “where do they live?”, “what is their food?”, “have you ever seen them?”, after that, I gave them some clues, such as the initial letter, the word consists of how many letters, etc. It will let them to guess and think critically. Noting that if they really have no idea about the word, ask them to look up in dictionary. The students can get used to make friends with dictionary. Then, I started to read the two first sentences for modeling. Next, I asked the student next to me to read the next two sentences, and then the student next to him/ her take turn, and so on until the entire students got chances to read the passage loudly.
Assessing whether the students catch the material well or not, I gave them some reading exercises. I prepared three kinds of reading exercises. First, ‘Fill in the Blank’: the students have to fulfill 30 missing words in the passage that they have already learned. Finding it easy to them to do, I provided the answers in the box. However, making it a little bit complicated, I also put some word distracters in order to deceive them. Next is ‘Matching Fun’: the students should match 10 words in column A to B appropriately. The last but not least, ‘True or False’: the students should consider whether 10 sentences are true or false.
The exercises as I used them in the microteaching were quiet effective. For instance, ‘Fill in the Blank’ would be done in groups. I divided the class into three groups, noting that the items are a lot, so it will be better to do it in groups. The aims to practice the students’ memory for JCOT, bring them where you are through their way (do something that they want to learn/ games), students can enjoy it, and they will be unconscious if they are assessed, so, it can release students’ anxiety. ‘Making Fun’ was done in pairs. Both of them are effective ways to train students’ cooperation given the group works. On the other hand, ‘True or False’ was done individually for ICOT, it aims to measure students’ comprehension about the passage individually.
I have learned a lot of precious things from preparing reading exercises and microteaching. For instance, we have to consider the amount of items exercises, the time to do it, are they appropriate with the objectives?, the validity of the exercises, for children, especially face validity, including the complexity, moreover, the exercises should be various and so forth. While, by microteaching, I have learned that teaching reading need to prepare well, especially the choices of the reading passage, it should be fit to curriculum and it has moral value that can give great learning experiences.
I should be more careful in choosing the reading material, it means, my reading materials had better involve moral values and be fit to curriculum. Furthermore, I can add visual aids as many as possible. I may be develop more attractive games and encourage the students’ notion to read. For my microteaching, I think, I can improve by using different style in teaching, for example, we read a narrative text like a drama, on the other word, we dramatize the reading making it livelier, with a proper intonation, expression, etc. Oral or silent strategy that I choose depends upon the classroom situations and students themselves.
SITI AJI KHOZANAH
ReplyDelete2201406036
ROMBEL 03
GROUP
1.Fitri Yuni Asih
2.Tri Aryanti
3.Ratih Mariana Dewi
A Reflection Essay: The Interesting Topic for Teaching Reading
Teaching reading is very important. It because reading ability will be developed best in association with writing, listening, and speaking activities. Even in the courses that may be labeled “reading,” the goals will be best achieved by capitalizing on the interrelationship of skills, especially the reading-writing connection. It becomes important to the language teachers to teach reading to their students.
The objectives of reading for students are to improve the language skill and to improve the reading skill of the students.
In order to improve the language skill and reading skill of the students, I decided to use the description text titled Valentine Tradition to teach my group. This passage tells us about the traditions of Valentine’s Day that have been done by some people in other region, countries, or in the long centuries ago. It will tell the students about the new thing, especially the Valentine Traditions that they haven’t known before because there is no a kind of this tradition in Indonesia.
The passage tells about some of Valentine Traditions. When I taught the group that acted as my students, I asked what they know about Valentine’s Day. They answered that Valentine’s Day is giving a gift to a person that we love like chocolates, flowers, and dolls, usually the color is pink. They were right because that were the Valentine Tradition in Indonesia. But the passage tells us about the other traditions that done happen in Indonesia in the Valentine’s Day.
One of the traditions that is very interesting is using apple to know the name of boy or girl that someone would marry. You just need to think of five or six names of boys or girls you might marry, as you twist the stem of an apple, recite the names until the stem comes off. You will marry the person whose name you were saying when the stem felt off.
The objectives of this lesson are the students will be able to identify the meaning of new vocabularies, to get the main ideas and to describe or retell the passage with their own words in the written way.
After giving the explanation about the text, I gave a true or false exercise. I choose this kind of exercise because in my opinion it can measure the understanding of the students about the text. The exercise consists of ten items. The group answered eight right answers, one wrong answer, and they did not answer one question.
I think this exercise is effective enough because the instruction is to state true or false the items of the exercise and I think the items can measure the understanding of the students about the text.
When I was going to teach reading comprehension, I decided to use the passage that titled is Valentine Traditions. I chose this text because I think it is very interesting context and contains something new that can improve the students’ knowledge. As a result, the group that I have taught listened and attended to my explanation about the text because they were interested in the text and wanted to know what the text tells about.
I learned something new from the passage, too. I have realized that there are many kinds of Valentine Traditions. Then, I learned to prepare an exercise and did microteaching with my group. It gave me a very valuable experience in making somebody understand about a text.
However, there are some weaknesses in process of teaching. I have too much explained to the group. So, it made the students had a little chance to talk and understand the text by them. In addition, there is just a kind of exercise. It can not make the students are interested in doing the exercise.
To improve my material and the microteaching, I have to look for the more interesting passage so that the students will be more interested in the passage. Besides, I must vary the exercise and the objectives of the lesson will be reached.
Name : Nur Alif Fitriyani
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406571
Group:
Nur Alif Fitriyani (2201406571)
Rochyani Lestiyanawati (2201406589)
Cicik Wulandari (2201406590)
TEFL 2/ Rombel 6
MY MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
The purpose of this reading lesson is to improve the vocabulary of the students, especially about music. In this passage the students will find some new words. It's also to make the students use the correct punctuation and train their carefulness.
The reading passage is the biography of Josh Groban, he is a classical singer from California. He reached the success the early age, he was still so young. It can motivate the students to study and try hard to reach their dreams. For high-school students (both junior and senior), music is the topic that they are interested in. that's why I choose this article. In my opinion, the students will be attracted and will eager to read this kind of reading passage because it is about the topic that familiar with them.
The reading exercises that I have prepared are the cloze test ( with 10 blanks), 5 questions, and also 5 true-false statements. In close test, I gave the students the similar passage but I have deleted some words of the passage. Then the students must supply the words that fit into those blanks. In the other exercises, questions, the students must answer some question completely based on the text that they have read with correct punctuation. So, the students must understand about the passage and pay attention to the used of capital letters, full-stop mark, comma, and other punctuation mark. In the next exercise, the true-false statement, the students must distinguish or notice whether the statements are true or false. It will show us the student's ability in understanding the passage generally. They also must pay attention to some details that will affect the answer that they take. There are only two optional answers, true or false. If a statement is false, the students must give the reason to support their answers.
In my opinion, the reading exercises that I prepared are quite effective. The cloze test exercises are quite effective in language teaching-learning because it requires a number of abilities that lie at the heart of competence in a language: knowledge of vocabulary, grammatical structure, discourse structure, reading skills and strategies, and an internalized "expectancy" grammar. From the questions exercises; the students must understand the text so that they can answer the question correctly. The true-false statements also need much attention from the students because they will need some details in the passage to determine whether the statements are true or false.
From the microteaching preparation, I learned that in conducting a reading lesson, we must consider some factors; they are the type of the reading passage, some ways to gain the attention from the students, the use of media in reading lesson, and the kinds of exercises that will be given to the students. The type of reading passage is important because it will determine whether the students will be curious about the passage or not. We must give the reading passage which topic is interesting for the students then the students will be motivated to read. The way to gain attention from the students is also important because it is the way to lead the students to concentrate to the reading lesson. We can give the students some basic questions to lead their mind into the passage. The use of media in reading lesson is significant. By using the media, the teacher can give some basic questions based on the media. The student will know the reading passage is about. They will imagine the object and the conditions that they are reading.
I think, I must prepare better reading passage for the students. The reading passage that I gave to the students is about classical singer, and some students are not familiar with that kind of music genre because in Indonesia, classic music is not popular in the teenager level. Classical music may be something strange to their ears. So, I as the teacher should be able to make passage sounds interesting. Or, I can change the reading passage into article about Indonesian music which the students are more familiar with.
Veny Nur Aini
ReplyDelete2201406090
Rombel 6
Telf 2
Microteaching (reading) report
Gazebo, on Friday, 3-04-2009
At 11.00 A.M
My group and I did microteaching (reading). My group consists of four persons. One as a teacher, and other as student :
Aant Adhi 2201406049
Wigit fitriani 2201406052
Veny Nur Aini 2201406090
Prapasa Aji S 2201406635
Meterial
Essay
Source=CnS Magazine
Title ”Tips for Choosing Tees”
Content=steps how to choose good tees (T-shirt). There are eight steps to choose good tees. First-about the fiber of the tees, second-how to know what the material of tees from, third-the top material quality of tees, fourth-about synthetic material, fifth-collors, sixth-lines of tees’ disign, seventh-about the necks of tees that should be avoid, eighth-knit in tees.
Objectives
1.By the end of the lesson, students should be able understand the content of the text.
2.By the end of the lesson, students should be able to find and know some new words from the text.
Media
Real T-shirt
Learning activity
Opening
1.Greeting
2.Checked the roll
3.Teacher introduced the material with the instructional aid (T-shirt)
4.Teacher leaded students into the material
Lesson
1.Teacher gave the text (tips for choosing tees) to the students
2.Teacher asked students to read in turn
3.Teacher asked the contents of eight point in the text to the students
4.Teacher asked whether any difficult word or not
5.Elevation-fill in the blank box in the crossword puzzle-about the text above
6.Discussed the correct answer together
Closing
1.Teacher gave other text, summary, and translate any difficult word as assigment.
Evalution
Type=writing test
Instument=fill in the blank box of crossword puzzle by answering the cluse based on the text “tips for choosing tees”
I think, the excercise was effective. Bisedes the students could understand the content by doing that, they also could final and know new words. Through “The Crossword Puzzle” students’s interested in doing exercise. It mantain curriousity of the students to find the anwers. They enjoyed in fill in the blank line doing a game. Then they would be proud if can finish the crossword puzzle with the correct anwer. It had limitation of the time, of course, to be more challenging. It had 5 questions for vertical and 5 questions for horizontal must have been finished in 5 minutes.
Thus, it’s a effective excercise. By answering 10 questions the students could know the whole of the content of the text. They also got new words, and it also practice the students’ speed and consentration in doing excercise.
I have learned some points that need consideration in preparing reading microteaching and excercises :
1.I have to prepare interesting instructional aids to, get good responds, good interractions from the student. Because poved that with a good inctructional aid, I interact my student, I got a lot of responds, and didn’t be wrong getting stuck
2.I have to prepare interesting material, in order to students interst and enthusiasm reading the text. Intersting material may include: text with pictuer, text with comman toppics, text with topics which are liked by the students as the objects.
3.I have to prepare a challenging excercise and not boring excercise. A challenging excercise can be such a knowladge game, where boring excercise sue as just a ordenary question sentences that flat and aren’t interesting for reading.
I think should do some points to improve my materials and mircoteaching as follows :
1.Although my excercise was good, interesting enough, but there was a student that could not finish it well, even just a half of the excercise. I think it because the didn’t consentrate in his work. It was poved by other students who could finish it. Thus, I conclude that I have to make a more condusif situation, in order to all of students can consertrate with their work.
2.To improve my material, i have to still search many interesting material from many sources, not only from magazines, may be can gt more from news paper, internet, story books, etc.
3.I have to pratice english everyday to make my english teaching fluent.
Tri Aryanti
ReplyDelete2201406039
Group:
1.fitri Yuni Asih
2.Siti Aji Khozanah
3.Ratih mariana Dewi
Wednesday at 14.30
My reflection Micro teaching
1.Goal
The students will know the characteristic of famous clock Big Ben.
2.Objectives
In the end of the lesson, the students will be able to:
- Know the meaning of some difficult words
- Answer question related to the text
- Comprehend the text
3.Reading passage about
Big Ben, the famous clock which can be heard all over the world on the B.B.C. Big Ben takes its name from Sir Benjamin hall who was responsible for the making of the clock when the new houses of parliament were being built. It is not only of immense size, but is extremely accurate as well. Officials from Greenwich Observatory have the clock checked twice a day. On the B.B.C. you can hear the clock when it is actually striking because microphones are connected to the clock tower. Big Ben has rarely gone wrong.
4.Material and equipment
- Text about Big Ben
- Clock
- Picture of Jam Gadang
-Pictures of Big Ben
5.Procedures
a)Pre-reading
- Warming up by Showing Clock, picture of Jam Gadang and some pictures of Big Ben.
-Asking them about Clock, Jam Gadang and Big Ben.
-Giving difficult words related to the text and giving right pronunciation to the difficult words
b)While reading
-Giving the text about Big Ben.
-Students reading the passage
c)Post reading
-Giving some exercise related to the text
-Checking together
6.Kind of reading exercise made
a)Answer these questions related to the text; it is to measured the understanding of the text,example:
1.When were the houses of parliament burn down?
2.Who was made responsible for the construction of a huge clock?
b)Match the words and the meanings below; it is to measure the students’ ability in knowing difficult words.
1.Visit
2.Famous
3.erected
4.Clock
5.Check
6.Strike
7.Parliament
8.Connect
9.Failed
10.Hung
a) Menggantungkan
b)Gagal
c)Menyambung
d)Parlemen
e)Berdenting
f)Periksa
g)Jam
h)Didirikan
i)Terkenal
j)mengunjungi
c)Make sentence based on words on part B
d)Let’s have fun
Solve the puzzle
Who wins?
7.How effective the exercise
The exercise is effective enough to measure the comprehension of the text and difficult words related to the text. But based on the micro teaching, my material it is rather difficult to the students.
8.What you have learn from preparing micro teaching
We have to prepare well before doing it. Make sure that all we need is in hand. When preparing the reading exercises we have to match this with the materials given and the level of the students. You have to believe that you can do that. This is the most common problem that happens in almost microteaching that is done by us. Dare to try improving our ability in microteaching because we can learn from our mistake over and over again until we can do the best. As a teacher we also have to be creative and innovative. Creative to make things new to make the students don’t feel boring and also innovative in solving problems that happen in the classroom.
Before entering the class and giving the material to our students we should prepare everything.
- The material should be interesting and informative.
- We should give key words to the students so that they can understand the passage easier.
- Prepare everything that support the teaching and learning process (things to warming up, exercise to measure the students’ understanding). So that the students will understand more and interested in the passage.
9.What should you do to improve your material and your microteaching
- By practising micro teaching more
- Choose interesting and informative reading passage
- Give positive reinforcement to the students so they are motivated
- By giving picture of Big Ben
- By giving question related to the text to make the students interested in reading the text
- By giving the difficult words and the meaning
- Creative thinking is one of the important things needed in teaching.
- Prepare more in micro teaching
- Make vary in test items
- Make the teaching and learning process enthusiastically
TIARA TISNA DEWI
ReplyDelete2201406514
GROUP:
NURUL FALAH RAHMAWATI
UMMI ASHIM AZZAHRA
TIARA TISNA DEWI
In this micro teaching, I have several objectives that in the end of the lesson students are able to:
1.increase their vocabulary after read the text
2.pronounce the words correctly
This time, my text is about “SHOPPING”, especially ‘shopping mall’, the text entitled “SHOP 'TILL YOU DROP”. It is a king of discussion text. In this text the writer tried to tell to the reader that though shopping mall has many advantages for the costumers but actually it also has some disadvantages for the customers.
In the micro teaching, I asked the student to read the passage individually. By read the passage individually, I could notice whether or not the student could pronounce the words in the passage correctly. Then, I also give them several questions about the vocabulary meaning that is used in the passage.
According to me the exercises were effective enough to reach the objective of the lesson. By asking those to read the passage I could check their capability in pronounce the words. Then, I could correct it so that they can pronounce the words correctly in the future.
The vocabulary exercises are also effective enough, because after answering those questions they could add several words in their mind to increase their vocabulary bank.
I have learned many things by preparing this micro teaching and the exercises. As a teacher I should have a clear understanding about the passage and the exercises that I had made and other related material. I have to be ready when the students asked many question related to the material even if sometimes it does not have any relation with the text. I should give them very clear explanation so that they will understand deeply about the aims of the text and the lesson. I should plan many different strategic so student will not get bored about the lesson. I also should consider what the students like for the lesson today. I should choose an interesting topic for the material and update it every time. I also should consider about the content of the text, the style of language, and also the stylistic of the text. So the student will feel excited to read the text and interested to the content of the text.
In making the exercises I, also, have to consider the ability of my students so the exercises will not too difficult or, maybe, to easy and simple for the students. Do not make too many exercises but also avoid too simple exercises. As a teacher I have to make plans that make the student always do something and rich of movements. Because if they just sit and listening they will be so busy with their own activities and the learning activity will not effective and the teacher cannot reach the objectives that they were stated when they were planning the lesson.
In this micro teaching I should improve my material because the text that I was used in the micro teaching was too long and it has uninteresting stylistic. It makes the student less interesting to read the text just after they saw the stylistic. They become lazy to read the text although, according to me, it has an interesting topic and content because it is related to their daily life too, so they will be easier to understand the content. There are, also, several complicated words that rather difficult for them to understand and unfamiliar with them. This problem made them indolent to read the text too.
So, for the next time micro teaching I should find a text that is simpler than this one. I should find the text that shorter and easy to understand but it still could improve the student vocabulary and comprehension.
In the style of teaching, I think, I should try to explain more clearly about the content of the text and several difficult words that the students found from the text. I should teach the efficiently because the time allotment in the micro teaching, in my opinion, is very short.
All in all, although there were many things that I should improve, according to me, the micro teaching is effective enough for the students and for me.
YENNY PUSPITA RINI
ReplyDelete2201406526
My group members:
1. Tri Budi Setyaningsih
2. Jelisha Erlystyana
3. Dwi Yuliana
The text I have delivered to the the students is about Pollution. I choose this topic because it is related with our daily life habit and activity. I will make the students read the text carefully and underlined the difficult words, in order to find out the meaning easily. While they are reading, I also asked them to pay attention to the terminology because in the exercises the words are needed. This is the answers of the questiions given:
1. The objective of my lesson is to make students protect our earth by showing the worst thing that people usually do to the environment. It means that the text above shows us the effect of what have been doing by human being. Hopefully, this text will make them realize about the ruined of our beloved earth. I also want the students participate in every activity related with the save of earth.
2. The reading passage is about the lately conditions of our earth. It gives us information about the growth of earth, but the growth tends to be negative.
3. For this text, I prepare two kinds of reading exercises. First, the students have to find out the terminology about the topic in the boxes. It will help them become more precise. To make them easy, I also provide the first and last alphabet as a clue. Second, students have to find the definitions related with the terminology they found in the boxes and put it in the brackets according to the right answer. So, they will understand what the meaning of the terminology is.
4. According to my opinion, the exercises that are prepared for the students are various enogh. First, I have crossword puzzle. I asked the students to find certain terminology in the boxes, they can find them vertically, horisontally, or diagonally. According to my teams’ opinions (they acted as my students):
• First student (Jelisha) said that my exercises are attractive. The students find out many new words (terminology) from the text, and they must classify the words related to the topic.
• Second student (Tri Budi. S) stated that the evaluations are made in creative way, so the students will attract to do the tasks. It will be better to add the type/variation of task that is related with the students’ reading comprehension.
• Third student (Dwi Yuliana) said that the way in making questions like in task 1 is good. It needs an accuracy from the students to finish answering the questions. While in task 2, it also good. Because it can improve students’ ability to find the meaning of the words.
So, in my conclusion, the exrecises that I have prepared for the students are not very bad. Maybe I should learn how to make better exrcise. However, I feel confidence that my exrcises are quite effective to improve students’ reading comprehension.
5. In preparing the exercises, I have learned many things started from the way how to create a good exercise, what kind of exercise I will have, what the goal of the exercise is, what advantages that students will get from the exercise, and how effective the text is. I also know that it is not easy to create a task or exercise for students. The major problem is that every student has different achievement in reading comprehension, so the teacher should learn more about the students’ activity.
6. To improve my material, maybe I should do a lot of exercises in making assessment (task, assignment, homework, etc). I also should explore more about students’ ability in order to compare with the form the of assignments. But first, I need to find a good reading text that is suitable with the curriculum and be able to improve students’ knowledge in studying English. Then, I have to deliver it well and clearly to the class with an attractive way, maybe by including some aids, such as pictures, video, movie, or games to keep their attention.
Name : Satiti Ayu Kusumawati
ReplyDeleteNim : 2201406513
Rombel : 06
The members of the groups :
1. Lina fransiscawati (2201406005)
2. Dini Agista (2201406520)
3. Fidya Martiyani P. (2201406528)
Reflection Essay
The objective of my lesson is by the end of the lesson the students are able to understand about descriptive text. Because the title of my passage is about rubbish, I hope it can give the students knowledge about rubbish, the effect of the rubbish for our life, the kind of rubbish, which rubbish that can recycle and not.
My reading passage is about descriptive text, the title is “Rubbish”.
Rubbish is what people throw away, anything from unwanted old chairs to instant noodle packets. The amount of rubbish is growing rapidly in towns and cities. The local government has come to think about rubbish seriously. The rubbish people are likely to throw away is things like soft drink cans or bottle, or packaging around things they buy. They throw away packaging and it ends up in the dustbin, along with old bottle, plastic and cans. What still happens is that everything is taken away to a rubbish dump and buried, but not always.What do dustbins contain when dustmen come to empty them? Most of the rubbish is textiles, paper, cardboard, plastic, vegetable waste, leaves used as wrapping and board. Most of it needs not be rubbish at all. Textiles, paper, cardboard, and plastic can be recycled. People can use vegetable waste and wrapping leaves for compost. The problem is to authorities and governments to make it easy to re-use what people throw away. This is because individuals cannot recycle paper or metal for themselves.In Indonesia the “pemulumgs” give great contribution to rubbish problem solving. They collect rubbish that can be recycled and sell it to collectors. The collectors then sell it to manufactures that recycle paper, plastic, and metal. Individuals can bury the rubbish in their yard or burn in the incinerator.
Kinds of the exercise that I have been prepare are :
1. True and false
Example :
State true (T) or false (F) based on the text.
a. ….. Rubbish is an easy thing to be solved.
b. ….. People can make compost from rubbish.
c. ….. Paper and metal are able to be recycled.
d. ….. Collectors get rubbish from “pemulungs”.
e. Etc…
2. Fill the blanks
Examples :
Fill the blank with the correct answer.
The amount of rubbish is ……. Rapidly in towns and cities. People throw away ……. And it ends up in the ……. along with the old bottle, plastic and cans. People can use …….. and…….. for compost. Etc…
Packaging wrapping leaves
Vegetable waste dustbin
Growing recycled
I think my exercise is effective enough. From the exercise one ( true and false ) I can measure the understanding of the student about the passage, the comprehension of the students about the text, and make the students read the passage more intensively so they can answer the questions.
For the second exercise ( fill the blank), it’s can improve students’ vocabulary. From the exercise students have to fill the correct answer on the sentence. In order to the answer is correct the students have to know what is the meaning of the sentence or the verb in Indonesia. For do that, they need to open the dictionary.
What I have learned from preparing the reading exercise and doing the microteaching. I have learned everything. from the exercise it can help us to measure the understanding about the lesson that we have gave to our students. Beside that It can helps us to assess our students. when I doing the microteaching with my friends, I feel nervous and happy. I learned a lot of things from the microteaching. I know that it’s difficult enough to teaching reading to our students. to make they feel happy and interesting about the lesson. We must have more strategy and technique to teaching reading.
To improve my material and microteaching, I should learn more and more. I have to do the exercise, prepare the material well, have a lot of technique and strategy for teaching, etc.
TRI BUDI SETIYANINGSIH
ReplyDelete2201406524
Members of Group:
Dwi Yuliana
Jelisha Erlystyana
Tri Budi Setiyaningsih
Yenny Puspita Rini
THE ESSAY OF MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
On Saturday, 4th April 2009 Dwi, Jelisha, Yenny, and I held a microteaching in B3 park. I asked them to act as third grade students of Junior High school. In that session I taught them about reading and the material is about procedure text. The title of the reading passage that I gave to them is “Gudeg Jogja”/Green Jack Fruit Sweet Stew. My objective of my lesson are in the end of the lesson the students should be able to read and identify the structure of a procedure text.
In that microteaching, I gave a number of activities to them. First, I showed to them a picture of green jack fruit sweet stew, and then I asked some questions to the students that are related to the material. In my microteaching I used a picture as a media to help the students to acquire the lesson easily because by using it, they could imagine the material through the picture so that they could understand and comprehend the text by their own model successfully. After that I asked some of questions based on the picture, for instance, “What picture is it?”, “How do you say it in English?”, “Have you ever eaten it?”, “Do you know how to make it?”, “How does it taste?” and so on. After that, I asked them to read the text. It is a text that describes how to make green jack fruit sweet stew step by step and also the ingredients that are needed. Then I read the text loudly and asked them to repeat after me.
After the students finished read the text, I gave them two kinds of exercises to assess their comprehension in reading. The first exercise is completed with picture, it purposes to make the students easy to identify and become more interesting to do that. In this exercise students are asked to label the picture of spices with each name. The objective of this exercise is to improve the students’ vocabulary; if they don’t know the meaning of the words they could consult their dictionary. The second exercise is filling in the blanks with the suitable words those are provided in the box. This exercise is taken from the text that had been read by them. The objective of this exercise is to assess the student comprehension in reading.
After did the microteaching, I think the exercises that I used were less effective. Its form was too common and less colorful. The same with the variations of the exercises are too much imitating. It could make the students feel bored and lazy to follow the lesson. The media that I used in my microteaching was less attractive, because I didn’t use the colorful pictures and limited realia.
In my experience of preparing the material, I have learnt a lot of things. Choosing the material was not an easy activity to do. I found some difficulties for instance, in choosing the appropriate text and finding the interesting and fun activity for the evaluation. I forced myself to be as creative as possible to make a fun activity to make my students enthusiast to follow the lesson. Besides, choose the appropriate material, I also must manage the time.
After finished my microteaching I evaluated all of that I have done, starting from the preparation until the microteaching, I realize that there were a lot of mistakes and weakness, especially in material. There a lot of things that I have to do to improve that. For the next chance I want to improve my material. I will use more creative media in teaching, for example, colorful pictures, variations of passages (the same text type), and so on. For the exercises, I will improve the variations of the questions, so the students will enjoy in following the lesson. In addition, to make all the students take a part in the class activities it will better if I give them game activities.
JELISHA ERLYSTYANA
ReplyDelete2201406517
Group:
Dwi Yuliana
Jelisha Erlystyana
Tri Budi Setiyaningsih
Yenny Puspita Rini
THE REFLECTION OF MICROTEACHING
The lesson prepared by teaching – reading format. The lesson using text, specially descriptive text. The lesson have purpose for the students. The general purpose of descriptive text is to describe a particular person, place or thing. Then, the descriptive text is about vitamins that contents in the food and their function. So, by the end of the lesson students should give more attention to their food, and the contents of them.
The reading passage tell us about vitamins. The contents of the text explained about the functions of vitamins, many of vitamins in food and their function for our health. It also describe about advantages and the influence of vitamins, how to make it balanced and it couldn’t appeared problem to our body. So, the reader maybe need doctor to guide them to consume vitamins well.
The exercises that prepared related with the reading passage is matching the words and the meaning of it. I am choosing the type of exercise because its interest. The students must get the point of the meaning words from the text. The text is not write the meaning of the difficult words. So, the students must get the meaning from their prediction about the words and related with the explanation of the words, that everything have connected with them. They must match the meaning of them with the substance or explanation of the words.
The exercises used to measure the ability of students in comprehension the text, and how to get the appropriate meaning from the text. Comprehend the text, usually have several steps. First, when the students read articles, they read the title and give more attention to that. They think about the title. Many ideas or opinion emerge in their mind. They thought what’s wrong with the title, what will explain in the text. Then, they read the articles, maybe they will find many of new words in the text. It can effect big curiosity to know more about the words, the relation with the theme of the text, and so on. They effort to understand each words in the articles especially the meaning of words. In the condition they will use the dictionary to solve problem. The activity make them study hard. Their brain will think more and more. It also create relationship between the students with dictionary. They will feel need dictionary than else. Maybe, other ways to answer their question in their mind, they can discuss it with friends. So, the friendships not only focus in enjoyable activity to share or play, but also to improve their knowledge. Their friendships became high quality. After that they will start to relate or connect the connection from one paragraph to another. The text is systematically information that arranged into one unity. So, the text have interrelatedness from one paragraph into other paragraph. Finally, they learnt about contents of the articles. They used their meaning words, the relationship one to another and they get the point of the whole text.
The preparation of the microteaching, I will learn about the material that related with the text. And also the terminology from the theme. I will learn more than contents of the text. Because maybe in my microteaching it can make many of my students ask me unpredictable questions. If I can’t answer it so embarrassed for me.
The material in my microteaching will improve by using some realia or media. It can use some picture. Suitable with the theme “ vitamins “ I will use many of foods like fruit or vegetables. I will bring some fruit such as orange, apple, banana, grape, etc. The realia became one ways to get the sympathy from the students. The students will interest with the lesson when the teacher uses the realia. Then, teacher asks some simple questions to make class more comfortable. I also give more information than contents from the text.
Name : Nurul Falah Rahmawati
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406588
Members of groups :
1.Tiara Tisna Dewi
2.Ummi Ashim Azzahra
3.Nurul Falah Rahmawati
An Essay of Microteaching Reflection
On Monday, April 06, 2009 I did a micro teaching of reading class with my group, Tiara and Ummi, in B3’s park. The objective of my lesson is that by the end of the lesson, students are able to imagine about what dolphins look like, where they live, what they eat, and what they like to do with their groups. Besides, to give students a picture about what a descriptive look like. First, in my reading micro teaching, I showed the members of my groups, who pretended as my students, a picture of an animal. I let them to guess what picture it was and asked them what they know about the animal on the picture. Then, I gave each of them a reading text passage related to the picture that I had showed them before and asked them to read it carefully. The text I gave was about dolphins. It tells about dolphins' appearance, foods, environments and behaviors with their friends. The reason why I gave this text is to improve the students’ knowledge about dolphins, so they know that there are many creatures of God, one of them is dolphin. Moreover, the students who never see dolphins yet are able to imagine what dolphins look like. This text also relates to a kind of descriptive text that describe about dolphins, so it will be easier to teach them about the descriptive text later. After asking them to read, I taught the difficult words and showed some pictures that related to the words. Finally, I gave them exercises based on the reading text.
In my assessment, I gave three kinds of exercises. There were matching pictures with the names, answering the question, and cross word puzzles. The first kind of exercises consists of four numbers, while the second exercise consists of six numbers. Then, the last one, consists of ten numbers which is divided into five numbers for the across questions and the last five numbers are for the down questions. The objective of the exercises I gave is to make the students read carefully about the content of the text so that they can understand well about dolphins. Besides, I also want to help them improve their vocabularies. But, after doing the micro teaching, I think that I gave too many exercises with less interesting appearance. There are also no examples. Therefore, the students might be bored and a little bit confused in doing the exercises. They only read the keywords to answer the questions, instead of reading and understanding the content of the text well. So, I think, I will change the exercises. I will give exercises with more pictures, colors, various font, and also examples. Moreover, I won't give too many exercises.
From the preparation I made and the micro teaching I did, I know that it’s not as easy and simple as I thought in preparing the reading text and making the exercises. I have to prepare both of them as effective and interesting as possible. In addition, I have to make the objectives of my lesson and the materials I’ll give clearly so that the students’ competence will be able to be measured whether they are success in understanding the text or not.
To improve my material, I'll look for other sources that give more information relates to the text I'll give, for example is about dolphins, so I'll be able to give the students more informations and as many as vocabularies about it. In giving the material, I'll give a text with attractive appearances to attract students reading the text. The use of some media, such as pictures and dolls of dolphins, hopefully can help them to imagine the animal and understand the text easier. I will give better exercises by not giving too many exercises to avoid students' boringness, by making the exercises as interesting as possible and giving an example for each exercises. By doing these, hopefully, I can make my reading class better than before.
Harinda Rarasati
ReplyDelete2201406057
Rombel 6
Group:
• Farida Liyana (2201406051)
• Herlina Dyah M. (2201406054)
• Nindya Pradita (2201406055)
MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
On Friday, 3rd April 2009, Nindya, Farida, Herlina and I held a micro teaching at B3 building. I asked them to act as second grade students of Junior High School. I taught them narrative text and the objective is students should be able to find the moral value of the story and create a narrative text based on their experience in the end of the lesson.
In that micro teaching, I gave them a number of activities. First, I showed them several pictures related to the text to help them improve their vocabularies and get them acquainted some difficult words so they could understand and comprehend the text easily by imagining through the given pictures. Then I asked them some questions based on the pictures, for example, “What picture is it?”, “How do you say it in English?”, “Where can you find it?”, “What color is it?”, etc. They looked very enthusiastic. After that, I gave each of them a short story entitled The Legend of the Pearl which is written by Lonely Shell and asked them to read that story. It is a kind of fiction story and the story told about how the pearl is shaped.
After the students finished reading the story, I gave them several kinds of exercise to check their reading comprehension. The first exercise was comprehension question which consisted of seven questions. For example, “Why was the butterfly so sad?”, “What happened to the shell when the butterfly died?”, “What have you learned from the story?” etc. Next exercise was finding references which consisted of four questions. The students should write the references of the given pronouns, such as, “The word ‘him’ line 4 refers to…”, “The word ‘them’ line 18 refers to…”, etc. The last exercise was jumble sentences. In that activity, the students were asked to arrange the sentences into a correct order.
So far, I think the exercises as I used were not too effective. It was lack of pictures, lack of colors and too common. In other words, the appearance of the exercises was not interesting at all. It made the students bored and had no interest to do the exercises. The questions I gave were a lot of enough, especially for the comprehension questions, there were seven questions. The instructions of the exercises were also unclear that make the students get confused. But from the exercise I gave, the students very like doing the jumble sentences activity.
In every teaching-learning process, we need a good preparation physically and mentally. I have learned a lot from the preparation process. Generally, preparing lesson was not easy and very complicated. I had to find kinds of activity which are interesting and fun. I forced myself to be creative teacher to make my students fun following the activities in the classroom. In preparing lesson, we have to manage not only the materials but also the time. We must have a clear objective so the lesson will be organized. Preparing media, such as, realia, pictures, video, etc based on the reading passage is also needed to help us introduce new vocabularies to the students. Then, we need to prepare ourselves in order not to be nervous and avoid speechless by doing any practices in teaching.
To improve our reading materials, we should plan a good preparation. We should make materials or reading passages as fun and interesting as possible by adding some pictures, making colorful writing, giving fun activities and exercises, etc in order to make students interested in reading the given text.
We are also able to use media to introduce new vocabularies to the students and improve their vocabularies. We should not give them too many exercises or they will get bored and confused. If the students are getting bored, we can let them play a game, just a simple game like guessing or puzzle game. Then, we should also select the reading materials which are appropriate with students’ competence, not too easy or too difficult.
Name : Andhika Hadiyanto Wibowo
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406581
Group :
• Pipin Nur Azizah (2201406030)
• Ida Rohmawati (2201406022)
• M Gilar Yudha P (2201406544)
TEFL 2/Rombel 6
MY MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
After doing a microteaching practice, I personally got some valuable experience and I think it will be very useful for me who would be a person that concerned with the educational world as a teacher. There are several important things which we are going to deal with in giving a reading lesson to our students. First of all is we must prepared our lesson/material based on clear objective. In short, we must make a clear plan about what kind of achievement that would be get by our students after finishing the reading lesson. Then we must prepare our reading material carefully. We must consider about the topic of the text (in my opinion, it should be an interesting topic so that our students will be attracted in our lesson) then, we also must consider about the length of the reading text, and the most important thing is do not forget to build key vocabulary items/background knowledge from our chosen text to help students in comprehending the reading material.
In my microteaching practice, I chose the text about “Tim Tam slam” and the targets of my microteaching are senior high school students. The objectives of my lesson are: at the end of the lesson, students are able to understand about Australian people habit in eating Tim Tams, students are able to see/realize that the Australians habit in eating Tim Tams is a culture which has been being known and do by people in this world wide and the most important one is student are able to do something in sequences. Now, I will explain about the topic of my chosen text in a simple way. As we know, “Tim Tam” is a famous chocolate biscuits which made by Arnott’s Biscuits in Australia. The topic itself, it’s about “Tim Tam slam” which means a famous way of eating Tim Tams among Australians and also all people around the world. In the beginning of the microteaching practice, I shown some video which are related to the topic of my chosen text (video about “Tim Tam slam”) to the students. By doing this activity, I build the BKOF by using media (video) so that the students will get an illustration about the topic, and then I let them to describe about what kind of activity that they have seen. Furthermore, I asked some questions to the students such as: Do you like to eat chocolate? What does it taste? What about Tim Tam? Have you ever eaten it? Do you like it? Can you describe the taste of Tim Tam to your friends? What do you think about Tim Tam slam? Have you ever tried it? By asking those questions, it will help students to think more critical and also help them to notice some difficult words and then look for the meaning of those difficult words in the dictionary. What I do then is read the passage clearly as a role model, and then I asked one of them to read one paragraphs followed by other student so that the entire students got a chance to read the text. If there are some mistakes in the utterance of some difficult words, I helped the students to pronounce it correctly.
To assess whether the students comprehend the reading text or not, I use the vocabulary test such as a crossword to measure whether they understand the meaning of these difficult words or not, because if students don’t have enough knowledge about the vocabulary that means it will be difficult for them to understand about the material in the given text. Here is the list of the questions:
Answer the questions below and put the answers on the box given:
1. Kind of snack, it’s crispy
2. Slender, thin
3. Synonym of crash, breakdown
4. Untouched, undamaged
5. Synonym of covered
6. Synonym of chew
7. One way for promoting a product
8. Antonym of unsettled
9. Antonym of freeze
10. WHAT WORD DO YOU GET?
Honestly, I was surprised because students are unable to answer the exercises. I realized that I made a mistake in giving the type of the exercises. I think, it would be better if I just focused on the questions which based on the text. Actually the exercises above are used for the vocabularies mastery of the students and I found that it was not valid to know whether the students are understood about the text. Then, I decided to help the students by answering the 10th questions. The answer is CHOCOLATE. Then I also explained that they can find those words in the given text. Hopefully, they were able to answer it although it was really difficult for them.
By facing this problem, I learned that I must be careful in choosing exercises as a media to assess students’ comprehension on the given text. I also learned that I must be careful to use what method of teaching so that the students will be achieved the objectives I stated before. I still need more practice, because this microteaching result is far from perfect.
Rochyani Lestiyanawati (2201406589)
ReplyDeleteGroup : Nur Alif Fitriyani (2201406571)
Cicik Wulanadari (2201406590)
TEFL 2 (Rombel : 6)
Teaching Reflection
Teaching, on the one hand, is not only a science but also an art. Thus, in teaching the teacher need either knowledge and comprehension of the materials; or the approach, method, technique in teaching in creating interesting, motivating and meaningful classroom situation.
While in language teaching, on the other hand, we need to integrate the four skills; that is: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Thus, an interactive and integrated approaches that emphasize the interrelationship of those skills is required. So, here, reading, will also deals with related listening, speaking, and writing skills. The reading process, then, including activities: a pre-reading discussion of the topic to activate schemata, listening to a series informative statements about the topic of a passage to be read, a focus on a reading strategy, and writing a paraphrase of a section of the reading passage and also do the written reading exercises.
Before we do something, it’s a necessary to decide our purpose; that is what is the goal or aim that should we reach. In order to gain students’ comprehension in learning, we need to decide the purpose of that teaching-learning process. Here, in reading, the purpose of my reading text “Bill Gates” is to give information about an important person, Bill Gates, to the students.
Similar with a purpose, in teaching, the lesson objective is also important and need to be noticed. Through lesson objective, we can emphasize and specify what kind of goal or aim that we are to reach. The objective lesson on the reading text “Bill Gates” is to motivate the students to be a successful person like Bill Gates. Reading that text will encourage them to do their efforts in reaching their dreams, so they will be more conscious and motivated. Moreover, they will learn more from the moral value they found in the text.
The text itself, which particularly related to the genre recount, tells about who Bill Gates is and what has he done before became “a special person”. According to the text, Bill Gates learned a lot from his parents. He learned that you have to work hard if you want something, as well something else: if you want to work hard and play hard, you have to make a schedule. The young Bill spent their time by reading a lot of book. Bill, then, developed the world’s first computer language for the personal computer before he was 20. In short, the passage gives information about Bill and his struggle in reaching his dreams.
In my opinion, teaching learning process will be more meaningful if there is an exercise to measure or check whether the students are able to receive the message or understand about the materials or not. Moreover, through exercise teacher could find the students difficulties and help them in reaching the goal. In this case, I’ve prepare two kinds of reading exercise. First is question and answer, which divided into two parts: pre-reading and after reading, in which students are asked to answer the questions related to the passage. Second, the students are asked to decide whether the statements are true or false, and then give the correct ones.
Next, it’s also important to know whether the exercises are effective or not. Here, the exercises that I’ve prepared are effective enough for they are easy to be done and help students to understand the passage and find the message. The exercises also gain the students ability and creativity since they are asked to comprehend and explain the passage using their own word.
So far, I have learned so many new and useful things in preparing the microteaching. I realize that it’s not easy to teach. I couldn’t only master the materials but also there are many other factors that are required. Teaching need approach, method, technique, lesson plan, management, etc. When practicing, I also should eliminate my nervous feeling. In short, teaching should integrate many requirements appropriately.
I confess that my material is so far from perfect. Hence, I’ve to improve it. Perhaps, I have to look for the better materials, as well improve my teaching practice. There are several things that I have to reform.
Yanuarria Kukuh Perwira
ReplyDelete2201406531
Group:
Galih Indra
Sepfiana Arum Dias Woro
Reflection of My Microteaching
My reading passage is about traveling to Li Garden, a historical building in China which was built between 1926 and 1936 by Xi Wei Li. I choose this passage because I think that the descriptions in this passage are clear enough, so that they will be able to master present tense and are able to describe about buildings, places, or persons easier. I also choose this passage because when I saw the passage in the internet, it also has interesting pictures of the building, so that students will be able to see and compare between descriptions and pictures in the passage. When they read the passage, my students will get some patterns of present tense which will enrich their knowledge about present tense in order to help them describing something or someone and in composing descriptive text.
When starting the class, I act as a tourist guide who will lead the journey of foreign tourists. Then, I show them a picture of the gate of Li Garden and asked their opinion about the picture. Some said it was “Majapahit” gate, and some other said it was a kind of gate in Chinese work art, so it could be located in China or China Town. And I answer that it was correct that it was located in China, particularly in Kaiping City. When I read the passage, some of the students are excited with the story, but some would rather confuse. When I asked them why, they said that they do not understand some words in the passage. So, I asked them about those words. And those words are:
-Outstanding
-Wealthy
-Amenities
-Inhabitants
-Aviary
-Erect
-Poles
-Whip
I know that giving them directly the answers would not helping them at all. So, I asked them to read the passage one more time, this time they would read it loudly. After they finished reading the passage, I told them to write those difficult words on their note book and find the meaning based on my clues. For example, the word “erect”. I give them a clue by standing up a board cleaner in vertical position. All of the students are remain in silence, and a student asked me what the meaning of my behavior standing up a board cleaner. Then I answered, “this is what we call “erect”.” And they got what I mean by erect is upright, vertically, not horizontally laying on the floor. After they got the answer they have looking for, I asked them to read the passage for the last time. This time is silent reading.
For starting my class, I gave them a paragraph which has some blank spaces and asked them to fill those blanks. Once again, without looking back at the passage. Those blanks, whether they realize or not, they are all verbs. I hope after they finished this task, they will master, at least, present tense. After they finished the previous task, I asked them to do the next exercise, that is matching words in column A with their synonyms in column B in order to find the meaning of difficult words without looking in the dictionary, but based on its synonyms which are simpler words. And their last job is making a description paragraph about things nearby them, such as their belongings, their friends, buildings or environment around them, of course not the complicated one, but it was only a brief description.
Though it was not complicated, but I’m sure those exercise are effective enough for my students to master present tense and to compose a simple description paragraph. By finding the meaning of difficult words matched with its simpler words, I think it would made them remember about those words easier. While by working on the blanks, it will made them remember the patterns of present tense.
When microteaching, I learned a lot of things, such as how to get connected from one material to another and to reduce my nervous when I am in front of the class. Because in many times, I got nervous when I’m in front of the class. And I will need a lot of microteaching to reduce this problem.
Name : Dwi Yuliana
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406507
Rombel 6
Members of group:
1. Dwi Yuliana
2. Jelisha Erlystyana
3. Tri Budi S.
4. Yenny Puspitarini
Reading is very important for all of us because it will give advantages, especially for students, in order they can get knowledge by doing it. But, we have to know that sometimes students are lazy to read a text. It happens may be because the text which consist of many words and make students become lazy and bored when reading it. Because of that, we have to think and apply an interesting way to teach them in reading like using media like picture, video, etc. And in my microteaching, I use pictures as the media to teach reading.
As we know that every lesson has objective for the students. By doing teaching reading, I have two objectives for my students. They are:
Students are able to describe Borobudur as the topic of the text
Students are able to do the exercises to measure how understand are they about the text.
And I hope that my students can reach those objectives.
In my microteaching, I choose descriptive text about Borobudur Temple because I think this text can give the students knowledge and information about the building and the history of one of world wonders which is important as identity of our beloved country, Indonesia. And in the text I use, there are many new vocabularies which can improve their vocabulary ability. And to help them in understanding the text, I use some pictures of Borobudur. They are very useful.
In the objectives above, I’ve said that one of the objective of my lesson is students are able to understand about the text. And to make me know whether they understand or not, I make two kinds of exercises about the text. They are multiple choice test which consists of five item tests and essay test which consists of ten item tests. In here I use multiple choice test because I try to check how accurate are the students in reading the questions and the text because I have given some trap choices inside the questions. It is different with my purpose in giving essay test to the students, that is to make them understand the field of the text, and in answering essay test, I suppose that they use their own words based on their understanding in reading the text. In here, we can measure whether the students have been understood or not.
Essay test I make actually make the students confuse to do the tests. There are many complains because it need long answer to answer each question in that test. And it make the students lazy to write the answer. And from here, I know that the exercise like essay test is not effective to use in teaching reading because actually most of students don’t like kind of exercise like essay test which need long answer. It’s different with multiple choice test. In doing the test students are happy and they look like don’t have any burdens in doing that test. Because they just cross the character A, B, C, or D, so they don’t need to explain and write long answer. And from here I know that multiple choice test is very effective in teaching reading.
And from what I have said above, I learn that we need to prepare a lot the exercises we will use in microteaching. Main point, kind of exercises have to interest the children and don’t make them do what they hat like write a long answer like in essay test.
From here I think I have to improve my ability in choosing the material in microteaching especially in choosing the text which is more interesting to be read by the students. And something which is more important is that I have to choose an interesting exercise to measure the student’s understanding in reading the text. I mean that in teaching we have to interest the students by using kind of the text first which helped with media, then an interesting exercise also.
Fitri Yuni Asih
ReplyDelete2201406033
(Siti Aji Khozanah, Tri aryanti, Ratih Mariana Dewi)
Good Preparation
Good Teaching Reading
Our group has carried out the microteaching “reading passage and exercise” on Monday, 6th April 2009 at 11.55 a.m. we need about one hour to carry out this microteaching. Every person was given fifteen minutes to teach reading passage and give exercises. One person acted as a teacher and others acted as students in turn.
The kind of my reading lesson is a fable story entitle “A Rabbit and A Carrot” and the objective of this lesson is the students are able to enrich their vocabularies through reading fable story.
“A Rabbit and A Carrot” tells the students about a rabbit that planted a carrot. And the carrot grew and grew. One day, the rabbit wanted to eat the carrot for dinner. But when the rabbit tried to pull up the carrot, the carrot did not come up. So, he asked his friends to help him to pull up the carrot. And he promised to have dinner together if the carrot would be come up. His friends who helped him were frog, bee, butterfly, snail, and giraffe. After working hard, they succeeded in pulled up the carrot. Finally, they had dinner together and the rabbit said thank to all his friends one by one.
My reading lesson consists of three main activities. First is warming up by showing some pictures related to the story to the students, such as rabbit, frog, bee, butterfly, snail, giraffe ( animal pictures) and carrot (vegetable picture). This warming up activity is such a pre-reading. That has function to building students’ knowledge.
Second activity is reading passage. When carried out the microteaching, I asked my friend to act as elementary school students sixth grade who learned new vocabulary especially animal through fable story. The detail illustration will be like this. Before reading the story I prepared some pictures related to the story. Then, while I was reading the story, my students would point at the appropriate picture in every animal word that I said. For example, when I read “One upon a time, a rabbit planted……” my students would point at the rabbit picture and so on.
Then, the third activity is reading exercises. I prepared three kinds of exercises in my reading lesson. First is True and False exercises that consist of eight questions based on the story. For example, (1) There are six animals in the story of “A Rabbit and A Carrot” (T/F). The students will be able to answer the questions correctly if they pay attention in reading passage.
Second exercises is crossword puzzle especially picture crossword puzzle. This exercise consists of seven question. Every number has one picture that I had drawn as a clue. For example, in number (1) I drew rabbit picture so my students have to write R-A-B-B-I-T in the column.
And the last exercise is the students are asked to arrange the sequences of the animals when they pulled on the carrot. For example number (1) carrot (2) rabbit (3) frog, and so on.
After carrying the microteaching we had critic and opinion session for very microteaching that has conducted by every person. It will help every person to correct their weaknesses so she can improve her teaching skill. According to my friends opinion, my exercises is effective enough because I used interesting and colourful pictures as a media.
By conducting this microteaching activity, we have learned a lot of things about teaching reading. One of them is that preparation is important thing that we have to do before we conduct the teaching process. Good preparation is a half success of teaching activity. Other one is that warming up or pre-reading activity , main activity, and exercises should be given in sequences to help the students construct their knowledge very well. Also, we have to find and apply an interesting method to teach every material not only reading. But, it should consider about the level of our students.
Finally, according to my friends opinion to improve my material and microteaching I should be more focus in my reading passage first. So the students can catch the content of the story. But, the objective that by doing this activity, the students are able to enrich their vocabulary can be reach by the picture media.
NAME : WIDYA OKTARINA
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406048
GROUP : ANISA EKA TRIHASTUTI
WIDYA OKTARINA
UMMI ASHIM AZZAHRA
THE REFLECTION OF MY MICROTEACHING
The objectives of my lesson are that by the end of the lesson my students are able to do skimming to find the main idea of each paragraph. Another is that my students are successfully doing skimming to find the specific information in the paragraph so that the ultimate objective to give a complete and precise elaboration on two kinds of animals is achieved.
My reading passage entitled GOING TO THE ZOO. This passage tells students about two kinds of animal which are herbivores and carnivores. Each group of animals has its own specialties, from its food, figure of body and protection. This passage describes the animals by the use of noun phrases. It facilitates the students to reveal all of their vocabulary of adjectives and nouns. Hence, students can learn to form their own noun phrases in the correct form.
I showed some colorful pictures of animals to open my Building Knowledge of Field. Let the students guess vocabulary according to the pictures. I helped them when they met some difficulties in communicating their intentions. Then, we read the first paragraph together. Later on, I appointed different students to read to passage. I did so to check their pronunciation. For my Modeling phase, I gave some examples and visualizations to the students so that they could easily get the gist of the reading passage.
Matching, short-answer items, true false statements, multiple choice items, and crossword puzzle were the reading exercises I prepared for my Independent Construction of Text. First, I stimulated my students’ mastery of vocabulary by matching pictures to the correct words. To assess students’ comprehension about the reading passage, I used short-answer items, true false statements, and multiple choice items. Finally, for light exercise and refreshment, I used crossword puzzle. Having a discussion in pairs, I used on my Joint Construction of Text.
I found that my exercises were effective enough to meet my lesson objectives. With the various exercises I prepared, it uncovered my students’ competence and performance about the reading passage.
What I have learned is that being a teacher needs creative thinking. I have to try my best to do the material preparation phase, provide the attractive visual aids, guide the students when they meet some difficulties, keep them engaged and involved during the lesson, preparing the various and meaningful exercises, and primarily those activities should not deviate my lesson objectives.
To improve my material and micro teaching, I have to do more teaching practice. By doing so, I can learn how to be successful in delivering the material and achieving my lesson objectives.
DINI AGISTA
ReplyDelete2201406520
Members of group:
1.Lina Fransiskawati (2201406005)
2.Fidya Martiyani P (2201406528)
3.Satiti Ayu K (2201406513)
MICRO TEACHING REFLECTION
Teaching reading requires some aspects that may support this class in order to make it more effective. The techniques we choose in organizing reading class also decide the successful of our class to reach the objective. Our way in evaluating the students’ comprehension will also give a better understanding for our students besides exploring the material we have prepared.
One of the objectives of the reading class which uses Face book versus Friendster
as the material is making the children are able to recognize some social networking and also compare two things. By using this reading material the teacher is able to make a great comparing between two of the big social networking. Face book and Friendster are the names of the internet social networking that have very enormous fans through the world. The teacher can use this reading material to support the objective of the reading lesson because this reading material has content of comparing two things and also recognizing a networking world in a simple way.
The reading passage which has title “Face book versus Friendster” talks about social networking. Face book is one of the social networking which has a great number of users through the world. On the other hand Friendster also a similar social networking that be able to connect the user with another users who have an account in this social networking. Actually Friendster has come first in our cyber world. It comes and becomes a popular social networking before face book appears and used by so many people in this world. The complete and simple application which is available in the face book is considered as the interesting points. It makes many people use face book to meet with their friend or find their old friends. It does not mean that face book wins the competition and Friendster loses. This reading material explains the author’s opinion that Friendster also has its own fans especially from Asian people. Friendster is a very popular social networking in Asia. Many people in the range of age recognize this social networking. They use this social networking as the users of face book. They connect with people they have known before or some people they just have met in that social networking. However chat and updates application become the advantage of using Face book rather than Friendster. In this passage material the author compares those two social networking smoothly. He shows that both of those social networking have their own fans and also advantages.
The exercise which is done after this reading class is in the form of true and false questions and discussion. In the true and false test items the students are asked to decide whether the statement given true or false is based on the reading material they have read. It will check the student comprehension about the reading passage. The second exercise is discussion. In the discussion process the students are asked to make a dialog about Face book and Friendster, and also discuss mare information that has not been discussed in the reading passage. By having this discussion the teacher will make the students are creatively add new information, have a better understanding, and also able to response the reading passage.
This kind of exercise is effective enough to know the students’ comprehension about the reading passage, their understanding about social networking, and also their ability in giving response about that reading passage.
After the micro teaching we can conclude that making the students interest in the reading class is a good start, and after they interest to the reading class, helping them to understand is the core activity of this lesson. A good way in doing exercise is a good closing for the students’ memorable reading class.
Preparing more models in the reading class will help the students’ understanding. Especially in this material the teacher has to make the students understand enough about the term of social networking.
FIDYA MARTIYANI P
ReplyDelete2201406528
Members of group:
Lina Fransikawati 2201406005
Satiti Ayu K 2201406513
Dini Agista 2201406520
Wednesday, 02.30 pm
MY MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
This morning I did microteaching with some friends. I taught reading. The objectives of my lesson are students can identify the rhetorical way of narrative text, students’ ability on reading comprehension improves and students’ mastery on vocabularies is increase.
The title of the reading passage is “The American Pepper”. This passage tells about misunderstanding and straightforwardness of a family which bring them into foolishness and tragic tragedy. It’s only because they don’t understand about English at all, Savni’s family eat their aunts’ ashes with their stew. The incident was begun from a parcel which they received. It was sent from America and supposed that it is from Great-Aunt Pasni; their family who lives in America. They are right, after opening the parcel they found grey powder in the pot. They do not know what things is it, although there is a letter which explains about the parcel. But, unfortunately they do not know English at all. So, they only guess what the thing is. They, think that the parcel is pepper, American pepper. Afterwards, without doubt they add the “pepper” into their stew for dinner till the end of the week. They invited Dr. Harret, family’s friend to have dinner with them in the end of the week. Before dinner, they told about the parcel and the letter which they can not read to the doctor. The doctor helps them reading and explaining the letter. The doctor then said that the letter from George Leary, Great-Aunt Pasni’s son. It tells that the powder in the pot is his mother’s ashes which are hope to be scattered on the hills of the country where she was born. But, how poor and tragic Savni’s family are, because the powder which they thought as “American pepper” actually is their aunt’s ashes.
After reading the passage individually and I have explained the material to them, I give them true false questions. It is done for evaluating their comprehension of the passage, whether they are understood and catch the idea or not. Then, the second exercise is crossword test. It is used to measure students understand and mastery of the vocabularies which has correlation with the passage.
The exercises are effective enough to asses students mastery on the reading comprehension. Of course, it has weakness. First, the true false items not really measure their comprehension because the questions which I made are too explicit so the students can answer them easily. Beside that, the numbers of the questions are too little that is why it doesn’t involve the whole material from the passage. The crossword test is more effective than the true false items. It evaluates students’ mastery on vocabulary. They must really understand what the meaning of the vocabulary is. If they do not understand the vocabulary, even one, they will face difficulty to complete the crossword because there is relation between each of those questions. But, actually I need one more exercise to reach the objectives of the lesson. It is exercise that evaluates student’s mastery on identifying the rhetorical way of narrative text.
Common proverb said that “practice makes perfect”. As student of English education program, in which we are prepared to be a good English teacher, preparing reading exercises and doing microteaching is a good way to train our self before being the true teacher. First, from preparing reading exercises I know that making exercise is not easy. Really, it is difficult. It teaches me that when making exercise we have to consider any form of exercise that is the most appropriate with the objectives. If the exercise that we make is not appropriate, teacher can not reach the goal. Beside that, an appropriate form of exercise will help teacher to give the score and asses students’ achievement easier. Then, after doing microteaching, it gives me experience how a teacher feels in front of the class what should do in that position.
To improve my material, I should learn more and be wise when choosing the appropriate one with the students and the objectives. While to improve the microteaching, I need to practice more and more. Practice makes perfect.
NAME : WIGIT FITRIANI
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406052
TEFL 2-ROMBEL 6
GROUP MEMBERS : PRAPASA AJI S.
VENY NUR AINI
AANT ADHI HARTADI
REFLECTION ESSAY
I have done microteaching with my group, Aant, Aji, and Veny. It ran well. There was a good interactive too between teacher and students. I taught reading. I chose reading passage entitled “MEALS AND MEALS TIME”. This is an information text. This text tells us about the style in eating in United Kingdom, kinds of food, drinks, and meals time which is quite different with people in Indonesia. My objective in choosing this text is that by the end of the lesson students should be able to know the differences between meals and meals time in United Kingdom and in Indonesia.
Actually I have to set my microteaching in 15 minutes, but because the process in delivery lesson had to cover the entire step in teaching, I couldn’t do it in 15 minutes. I spent 17 minutes 24 seconds.
First of all I opened the class, greeted my students. Then I asked whether they have been ready or not. Then I asked them what come in their mind if I say MEALS. They responded. Also, I asked what their favorite meals. It was done to elicit their vocabulary. Then I said MEALS TIME, again, they elicit vocabulary. Some elicited vocabulary was hungry, breakfast, lunch, dinner, rice, meatball, satai, vegetables, and others names of food. Also, I asked them how to spell the words. After brief warming up, we came to the main activity. I provided them the reading passage.
After distributing the text, I asked them to read aloud. So I can directly correct when they mispronounced. I asked them to read one by one. While the first student was reading, the others listened. I corrected every time they made mistakes. No one asked me the difficult words. Basically the words used are familiar with the students or just about names of food which are not familiar with. So I moved into next step, giving exercises. I gave them two kinds of exercises. First, vocabulary test, I provided nine pictures of meals and beverage. I asked them to answer what the pictures were. Second, short answers test, consist of ten numbers. Most of them are WH questions and only one is yes/no questions. The students could find out the answers in the passage. Instead of doing individually, I allowed them to discuss with their friends. At that time I gave three minutes for them to finish the first exercise. After three minutes, we corrected the answers together. After correcting the first exercise, I asked them to do the second exercise. Because the time was over, I stopped it. My students haven’t finished the second exercise. I asked them to do it for their homework.
After doing my microteaching I found that I have to focus on my objective, whether the goal is reached or not. Also I should use the time effectively. So I can cover all the parts of the teaching. I think when I did my microteaching I spent too much time in opening, so that there was no enough time for my students and I to finish the reading exercises. Moreover with the limitation of time I should consider everything which I will give to my students.
And it is true that preparing reading exercise is as not simple as I think, because I have to consider the lesson objective too.
To improve my material may be later I will use the more attractive reading passage in order to get more enthusiasm from my students. Using more media either realia or pictures also can improve my microteaching. It can be denied that a lesson will be more interesting and the students will have more eagerness to be involved or participate in learning process when the teacher provide pictures or other media. It will make the atmosphere of the class will be more fun.
Ratih Mariana Dewi
ReplyDelete2201406047
Rombel 03
The nemes of my group:
Fitri Yuni Asih
Siti Aji Khozanah
Tri Ariyanti
A Great Microteaching
I and my group had done microteaching on Monday at 12.00 o’clock. I got my turn in second microteaching.
The objectives of my lesson are:
The students are able to retell the narrative text fluently.
The students are able to read comprehension the narrative text fluently.
The students are able to answer the questions based on the text fluently.
The title of my reading passage is “The Dog and the Bone”. It is about a greedy dog that lived in a village. One day he was walking by the market and saw a big bone in butcher’s shop. The dog wanted to have the bone so he stole it successfully. Then, he ran along with the bone in his mouth. When he came to a stream, he looked into the water and saw his own reflection. He thought that he saw another dog with a bigger bone. He wanted to have the bone, too. Then, he barked. It made the bone in his mouth fell into the water. Finally, he could realize that “if only he was happy with what he had, he would not have lost the bone”. I choose the text I am interested in the story. It can teach us to appreciate with what we have. It also has a moral value. That is “greed ends in misfortune”.
I had prepared three kinds of reading exercises. They were:
Multiple choice items
I had made five multiple choice items. Every item has four options. The example of the questions:
1.What is the type of the text?
a.descriptive c. recount
b.narrative d. exposition
True or false items
I had made five true or false items. The students were asked to decide true or false the statements based on the text. The examples of the statements were:
1.The dog was very naughty. T/F
2.The dog saw a small bone in the butcher’s shop. T/F
Short answer items
I had made ten short answer items. The examples of the questions were:
1.Where did the dog live?
2.Where did the dog see a big bone?
I thought that my reading exercises were effective to be used in my microteaching because I could evaluate the students’ understanding of the text by looking at their answers. If they could answer almost all the questions correctly, they would be considered to have good understanding. I decided to make tree kinds of reading exercises because they should be in various items. So, the student could learn to answer the questions in different items. The other reason was they didn’t feel bored in doing the exercises. After they finished in doing the exercises then we discussed them together.
I could learn many things by preparing exercises and doing microteaching.
First, I could learn how to make some good questions in various kinds of the exercises. Second, I could learn what I should do in microteaching like how give warming up to my students before entering the material. Next, I learned how apply strategies in teaching reading effectively. I asked them to read aloud in turn and then read the text silently. I also learned what technique that should be applied in teaching reading. I thought that it was better to teach the difficult words and how pronounce them correctly before giving the text. Then, I learn how to motivate my students in joining my microteaching by giving some reinforcements by saying “good job”, “well done”, etc. Finally, I learned how make my microteaching more attractive by giving a game before closing the lesson.
I should do many things to improve my material and microteaching. I should read some other narrative texts as reference in choosing the best reading passage. Then, I should read books which are related to teaching reading to enrich my knowledge in applying the strategies and technique in teaching reading. I should make more interesting and effective reading exercises like crossword puzzle. Finally, I should practice to do microteaching more often with my friends so I could know what my weaknesses in teaching reading were.
Name : Yuanita Novikasari
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406523
Names of group members:
1. Dian Hartadi
2. Atmayana Ike Pertiwi
3. Ninda Rati Juliana Putri
Reading is a kind of activity that does not attractive for some children. They sometimes feel that reading is a boring activity. We as an applicant teacher must try to find some ways to make our students feel happy and not boring when we teach reading, but still not forget to our objective on teaching reading.
When doing microteaching last day, I took a passage entitled The Ants and the Grasshopper. The purpose of this reading text is to give advice to the students. The lesson objective which I set to fit the reading text is by the end of the lesson students be understand the message of the text. It means that students have to understand the story and get the so called implied meaning (implicit) that lies on the text
The passage that I took (The Ants and the Grasshopper) tells about the different character of ants and grasshopper. The grasshopper is arrogant and lazy. He would just hop around playing his fiddle and did not do any work at all. On the other hand, the ants worked hard to gather food for winter. The ants once gave an advice to the grasshopper to do the same thing as the ants do. However, the grasshopper did not listen to the advice. When winter came, the ants did not get trouble to get food, while the grasshopper got very little to eat. At the end of the story, the grasshopper finally realized his mistake and he decided to work hard and save for the difficult times.
Considering my lesson objective that by the end of the lesson students should be understand the message of the text, I prepared three kinds of exercises. The first exercise is the students are asked to matching the pictures given with the appropriate explanation in the box beside the pictures. There are five pictures and eight explanations there. The second exercise is the students are asked to fill the blank spaces on each sentence based on the text. The sentences were adopted from the text so the students just look for the missing word. There are five missing words. The third exercise is the students are asked to answer some questions to check their comprehension about the content of the reading passage. There are five questions, one of the questions is asking about the implicit meaning of the text.
I think the exercises which I used in the microteaching were quite effective. For the first exercise I used pictures to attract students’ interest, because on my opinion (as I ever being a student too) students will happier if there is not only letters and characters on what they read. They will feel more comfortable with the reading passage which contains some pictures which will make them easier to catch the contents of the reading passage. Moreover, we can use pictures to explain more clearly about the difficult words. The second exercise (I use the fill the blank spaces command) has the same purpose with the first exercise, state the difficult word and new vocabulary for the students, but there is no pictures on the second exercise. The third exercise is used to check the students’ comprehension, maybe this third exercise is a little bit boring, but I think it is the most effective way to check the students’ comprehension.
I learned many things from preparing the reading exercises and doing microteaching. One is it is not easy to make exercises and doing microteaching. It takes time to prepare the best lesson, while sometimes in fact it’s not work as we hope. Sometimes I feel uncertain, I ever asked myself “Can I teach them so that they get the knowledge that they need?” But I still try to do the best of myself.
Of course, my teaching reading experience needs some improvement. In fact, I have to prepare myself and my material more. I need to give more variation to make my students more comprehend the material given, maybe by giving role play or game.
ATMAYANA IKE PERTIWI
ReplyDelete2201406504
DIAN HARTADI
YUANITA NOVIKASARI
NINDA RATI JULIANA PUTRI
REFLECTION ESSAY
Before I do a microteaching of a reading lesson with my group, I have prepared a reading passage and two kinds of reading exercises. The passage has a title, “The Lion and the Shepherd”. The objective of the lesson is at the end of the lesson, students should be able to inform implied meaning from the text. The text tells us about an unusual friendship story between a lion and a shepherd. “The lion was in pain because of a big thorn. The thorn stuck in its paw. When the lion wandered around the forest, it met a kind man, the shepherd. Though he was afraid, he still tried to help the lion. The lion was very grateful to the man. Many days passed, the lion was captured by the king. One day, the shepherd was also taken away by the king’s soldiers for a crime that he had not done. The king ordered that the shepherd be thrown before a fierce lion. But when the lion came out of the cage, it went up to the shepherd and licked his face. It was the same lion that he had helped. The king was amazed and called the shepherd to know an unusual story of their friendship. The king said, “The two of you are true friends, I set you both free.” The lion and the shepherd went away happily.” The text has a moral value. It is kindness is always rewarded. The value wants us to be a kind person. Our kindness will be paid by others one day to help our life to be easily.
Before doing a microteaching, I have prepared 2 kinds of exercises. Firstly, it is matching exercise. In this exercise, the students are asked to match the definition of some difficult words from the text with the pictures. They are pictures of lion, forest, shepherd, king and king’s soldiers. Second, it is True and False exercise. The students are asked to do 5 questions based on the text. If the questions are right, they answer True. And if the questions are wrong, they answer False. If they really comprehended the text, the students would answer the exercise correctly.
If we talk the effectiveness of the exercises, actually I don’t know how the effective were the exercises. In my opinion, the exercises were enough effective. I have to reasons, (1) the matching exercise could improve the students’ vocabulary. By matching the definition with the pictures, students will always remember what they have learned. Because pictures will make them interested in and enjoy doing the exercise. (2) the True and false exercise could improve the students’ comprehension, because the exercise need the students’ understanding of the text in order to do the exercise correctly. If the don’t understand the text well, they don’t will do the exercise correctly.
By preparing the reading exercises and doing the microteaching, I have learned many important points such as preparing the reading passage and the reading exercises well make our lesson walks smoothly, and it will help us to build our confidence because we feel comfort by planned preparation. The preparation will support our reading lesson. It does help us.
Finally, I think that to make the lesson enjoyable and comfortable I may use songs or games in order to make the students enjoy and feel comfort with the lesson. Songs and games will make the students more active. They need students’ action. If the students do an action, it will make them not bored with the lesson because they don’t just sit and it varies the students teaching method. Songs and games will help the students learning. All students like them, because they are fun activities. If the students feel fun in the class, the lesson that the teacher give will be easier for the students. At last, I will make a group exercise in order to improve the students’ cooperation with others. Cooperation improves students’ socialism.
Name: NINDA RATI JULIANA PUTRI
ReplyDeleteStudent number: 2201406533
Members of group:
Atmayana Ike Pertiwi
Dian Hartadi
Yuanita Novikasari
MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
I did a microteaching for 15 minutes. I hope that by the end of the lesson the students should be able understand the message which is contained in the text. I gave reading passage about a legend. It was the legend of Tangkuban Perahu. In order to student didn’t only get a new passage, they also could understand their national’s legend too. But, it was delivered in their second language (English).
For that reading passage, I prepared 4 kinds of reading exercises for the students.
1. There were 5 words on the work sheet and the students had to find the antonyms of those words.
2. There were 2 columns, column A and column B. Column A consisted of 5 words and another column consisted of the meaning of those words. And the students had to match them.
Both kinds of the exercises were for increasing vocabulary items. And I had other kinds of exercises to improve / measure the students’ reading comprehension.
3. I asked the students read the passage carefully then answer the question. I had 7 questions which related to the passage.
4. I asked the students to listen to me. I would read 10 statements, it could be true or false, but I read it one by one then I pointed a student to answer whether the statement that I told them was true or false.
The exercises were effective enough in my microteaching
1. For the first and second exercises were effective for improving students’ vocabulary. They wouldn’t understand the passage easily as they were poor in vocabularies which were used in the passage. In the third exercise, the vocabularies related to verbs and adjectives and the fourth one were related to nouns. The purpose was the students could also understand the passage using their new knowledge about vocabularies when they read new passages.
2. By answering question, I could know whether the students understand the passage or not because one of the questions asked them to find the most suitable title for the passage. From that technique students had to read the passage carefully before and actually understand the idea of it.
3. By answering whether the statements were true are false. The students had to know the entire of what happen in the story. If they didn’t do it, they couldn’t answer well. Because, I asked them what the right statement.
When I prepared the reading exercises I was so confused because it was the first time I had to make exercises for teaching reading. After I read some books, I had some ideas to do that. I had to make exercises which could make the students understand the passage word by word. So I chose vocabulary items then I had to measure their understanding by asking some questions. It was rather difficult for me to write good questions. Because I didn’t know the characteristics of exercise were best for students. So I write the question according the sequence of the story.
When I was doing the microteaching, I couldn’t manage the time well. I had too much exercises for 15 minutes microteaching. I had more than 5 questions for comprehension section and 5 words for vocabulary section. And I didn’t have any idea to control others students when I asked a student to read the passage loudly in classroom.
I felt that I have to prepare my microteaching better because there were some items I had to add to the microteaching such as; I want to add a game to increase the students’ comprehension of the passage. So I have to look for the games next time by reading some books or browsing internet. Then I have to get more information about the building knowledge of the field of my lesson and increase my vocabularies about that. I also have to decrease some numbers of item in my exercise in order to it will be suitable with the time that I have.
It’s a GREAT EXPERIENCE… And it’s a nice to me can share my experience in this blog.
DIAN HARTADI
ReplyDelete2201406506
ATMAYANA IKE PERTIWI
YUANITA NOVIKASARI
NINDA RATI JULIANA PUTRI
Some students think that tenses are very difficult because they have to remember and some teachers didn’t give the application of tense in pleasant ways. In this chance I want to use the pictures to make students understand the past tense in pleasant way because students can remember the lesson when they understand the situation of the text. Some teachers still using traditional way, it is using explanation without
The objective in my lesson is students are able to use past tense and identify the past tense in text. The reading passage I used is narrative text titled “Old Crusty”. This text is told about the old cocky crab which ended in the fisherman’s pole because of his cocky. I used this text because there is a moral value inside so students not only learn about past tense but also get the moral value from the text. To improve the vocabularies of students I use five matching pictures test and 10 essay tests to measure students’ understanding. Those kinds of test are suitable for children because they cover all the aspect from grammar, comprehension and vocabulary.
The exercises were very effective because most students understand the text because the situation is familiar to them and it makes them easy to catch the point from the text and answer the questions correctly. I’ve learned a lot from preparing reading exercises. First of all, it was not easy to make exercises because we have to know the background of the text and make the students understand the exercises easily. Second, I had to match the objective of the lesson with the questions because it’s important to make the students reach the objectives and the tests are created to help the students master the objectives. Third, I had to make tests in pleasant way so when the students see the tests they don’t think that the tests are not difficult as they think.
In microteaching I’ve learned many things. First, when I did the microteaching the time run so slow and I lacked of the material which was prepared for 20 minutes but it was end in 10 minutes. Second, it was uneasy to explain to the students when we got a nervous, the words which we had prepared before disappear suddenly. I didn’t know what I have to talk to the students. It made me ashamed. Third, I skipped too many chapters which I had prepared because I forgot everything in front of the class and I’m very nervous. The words I’ve said were messy and I don’t know what I’ve said. It was like I got trance. Fourth, I was shaking too much. I couldn’t point at the pictures in the blackboard.
To improve the material I have to reduce the difficulty words because some words are difficult for junior high school. I had to add more pictures in the reading passage to attract students’ attention. I have to make more varied tests so students don’t gat bored with the test.
Beside the material I have to improve the microteaching I had. First, I have to manage my nervous, it is very disadvantage to me because it will make my teaching go messy and uncontrolled. Second, I have to pay more attention to students’ attitude because not all the students can answer the question. Third, I have to know where to pause because I talked too much when I get nervous, students will get bored if I talked too much and confused with what I have said. Fourth, I have to prepared my teaching material better because I always lack of material before the time end.
That was the experienced I got from the microteaching and preparing reading passage test. I got a lot of experience so I can’t write that in here. The main point is I need more experience because I’m still lack of experience in teaching and can’t control myself in front of other people.
name: PIPIN NUR AZIZAH
ReplyDeleteNIM: 2201406030
group members:
IDA ROHMAWATI
PIPIN NUR AZIZAH
M GILAR YUDHA P
ANDHIKA HADIYANTO
rombel: 6
MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
Doing microteaching is a matter of practice. The more we practice doing that, the more we will get used to it. And it goes without saying that we will expert in it. People who are mastered the way of teaching theoretically cannot be proved that they can teach students well in real situation. It is same as the case when people are mastered the theory of teaching commonly (like development psychology, learning psychology, learning theory, CMD, ELT, TEFL etc) but they are capable in speaking, and have good communication competence so they will be a good teacher.
Before teaching, we have to make any preparation. Say what the purpose of our teaching today is. If we conduct reading class, we have to prepare the material, let’s say the text. Then we have to know the purpose of the reading text. At the end of the reading class what should the students learn? After that you also need to decide what lesson objective will you set to fit the reading text? Finally you prepare exercise to asses your students. It is used to know whether or not your students have achieved the lesson objective.
In microteaching that I conducted in my group (Andhika, Gilar, Ida act as my students) the lesson was begun by giving them key vocabulary. That was peanuts, since my reading passage was about eating peanut that saved us from heart disease without gaining weight. The purpose of the text was to change my students' belief (actually readers in general) that frankly speaking, eating peanuts would not make them getting fat. Moreover, it contained some nutrients which could reduce risk of cardiovascular disease.
The objective of my lesson was students should be able to recognize the form of explanation text. At least they know the generic structure that constructs the text.
The media which I used to teach my students was roasted peanuts. I let them to eat it. They were interesting in it. Then I asked them whether they were afraid to consume peanuts or not, and what made them afraid to consume it. Some of them said that they were afraid of being fat and had acne in their face. So I gave them the text and asked them to read it. While eating peanuts they read the text. Sometimes they asked some words that they didn't know the meaning. Because of the limited time, I asked them to do the exercises bellow the text and the day after they handed in to me. The exercise was used to know whether my students have achieved the lesson objective.
Here are the exercises that I gave to them:
What kind of genre is it?
What is the purpose of the text?
What kind of nutrient found in peanuts that make us healthy without weight gain?
What is the difference among three participants?
Beside its benefit, what is the weakness of peanuts?
One of my students could answer my questions and others could not answer the question number 5.
Based on my experience, I noticed that actually the exercises were effective enough. They could answer it and seemed understand on it, but I was afraid they got confuse defining the text as explanation text or analytical exposition text. Does it mean that they did not catch my objective lesson? I also saw that they were boring. It made me nervous to continue explaining so I got hurry to let them reading the text.
It goes without saying that I have to improve my way of teaching. Maybe through lot of exercises I will get used to do it. Sometimes my lesson is not focus and unorganized. There are before reading activity and after reading activity but there isn't while reading activity. When I try to explain the new vocabulary, there is my student who asks another question and we all are lost track. My students must be confused. Next time I have to prepare my material for microteaching better.
AANT ADHI HARTADI (2201406049)
ReplyDelete(TEFL 2 ROMBEL 6, WEDNESDAY 14.30)
WIGIT FITRIANI (2201406052)
VENY NUR AINI (2201406090)
PRAPASA AJI SETIAWAN (2201406635)
We, my friend and I, conduct our microteaching on Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 9 A.M. every of us have already prepared our own materials. Me, myself teach about narrative text, since narrative text is one of the basic competences for junior high school students. By teaching narrative text, I hope students will be able to:
1.Find out specific information from the text accurately.
2.Can read the text in good pronunciation and intonation.
3.Find out the main idea from the text.
4.Get more knowledge about kinds of text.
For support my microteaching, I use a narrative text in relation to Witch, titled “Witch and her friend”. This text is about a Witch and her friend which is a Witch too. The Witch’s friend comes over to visit the Witch and when the Witch’s friend looks around the Witch’s house she said “Your house is so ugly. My house is more beautiful than your house” the Witch got angry and shouted to her friend “Get out of my house”. She realizes that her friend was right. So, then the Witch planned to paint her house, so it would look more beautiful than before.
To check the students’ understanding about the text, I plan to give them an exercise in term of fill the blank. I choose to give them such kinds of exercise, since I think it is easier to administer. So, I can easily determine whether they understand the text or not easier. And it is easier to score them.
I think it is effective enough to make them read the text, but when I applied it in my microteaching; I saw them less interest to it. So I plan another kind of exercise to the teaching reading lesson which is more interesting and fun, so the students will more motivated to learn reading. And, finally they would read more fluently and their pronunciation just like as native, hopefully.
In preparing the microteaching, I learn many things: from which text is appropriate with the students’ competency but still appropriate with the curriculum, till how to construct a good and attractive reading lesson, and how to give good feedback and reinforcement to the students and the last but not least how to construct good interactive exercise to assess the students’ skill. I understand how difficult and hard to do that. So by doing this microteaching I get an opportunity to learn “trial and error” how to teach reading comprehension, so in the future, hopefully I would plan a better and interactive reading comprehension lesson. So the student will found more enjoy and fun in learning reading.
Maybe for now on I still found difficulties and many errors in teaching reading. But I will try to improve my abilities in teaching by more practice in teaching and improve my ability in teaching and knowledge about many kinds of text, so I can choose the appropriate text that is suitable with the students’ ability in reading.
Name : Prapasa Aji Setiawan
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406635
TEFL 2 : Rombel 06
MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
Before I give my explanation about teacher reflection, I would like to give you a guideline first within this reflection. The questions are stated as follow:
1.What is the objective of my lesson?
2.What is the reading passage about?
3.What kinds of reading exercises did you prepare?
4.How effective was the exercises as you used them in the microteaching?
5.What have you learned from preparing the exercises and doing the microteaching?
6.What should you do to improve your material and the microteaching?
Answers:
1.The objective of my lesson is to train the students enhancing their reading knowledge.
2.The reading passage is about “Dreams”.
3.The reading exercises consisting of Ideas (true or false questions), Vocabulary, and Spot the topic (summing up the ideas of the whole paragraph)
4.The exercises used in the microteaching were subsequently complicating students by reviewing the extensive passage.
5.I’ve learned much more to design as well as possible the exercises given to students. In the beginning of microteaching, it was exciting to provide the illustration that was students’ experience regarding to the passage.
6.It’s good to make the effective way by providing the newest current news in colorful form. Thus, the students didn’t get bored and indirectly felt comfortable to join the exercises.
On this occasion, we’ve held the successful microteaching consisting of four people like Wigit (2201406052), Veni (2201406090), Aant (2201406049), and Aji (2201406635).
We divided into two sessions. The first, Wigit and Aant got the chance to teach; meanwhile Veni and I had the turn next. Let’s go to my microteaching process.
At first time, I tried to get my students interest and attention by asking what they did the night before. Were they dreaming or just sleeping nicely? They response enthusiastically and keep wondering.
I didn’t want to lose the chance to get my students attraction. That’s why; I made conversation to them in a few minutes before going to the next session. Actually, all of them were in the term of well receiving the instruction.
Next, I asked one by one to read the passage in turn loudly. In addition, I sometimes gave the correct pronunciation matters in the middle of reading and the others listened carefully while waiting their turn to read.
The materials that I gave were so time-consuming, in their opinion. Unfortunately, I kept on the teaching even though they weren’t comfortable. In my mind was that when I gave the long passage that they never found, I intended to build their habit in the reading speed especially afterwards the exercises were provided.
That was the end of reading. Then, I got them to ask what they didn’t know about the materials whether the pronunciation or vocabulary matters. After they knew some, I hope they had enough understanding about the passage, so I could give them the exercises relating to the passage in difference way of questions.
Time allotment was about seven minutes to answer the questions along the passage as many as they gained. Unfortunately, all of them couldn’t accomplish. It didn’t matter I think as long as they did the exercises very well. I highly appreciated them. Most of them got confused in interpreting the meaning of a strange word. Then, I asked them to look them up in the dictionary they brought.
Because the time limitation, we couldn’t continue our lesson at that time. But don’t worry, I gave them the assignment to do and hand in to the next meeting. Some of them were very happy while the others were disappointed.
Me, myself needs to learn more to read all the materials I’m going to convey in the classroom. Thus, I could accommodate all subject matters they don’t know.
In conclusion, the teaching reading is actually enjoyable when we could steal their interest and attention. So, we can juxtapose ourselves to our students by asking what they have had done recently. The teacher’s creativity is needed here to organize the teaching learning process.
Name: M. Gilar Yudha Pratama
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406544
Group members:
Ida Rohmawati (2201406022)
Pipin Nur Azizah (2201406030)
Andhika H.W (2201406581)
TEFL 2/Rombel 6
MY MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
Teaching reading must be fun and easy going not get the students bored. After doing a microteaching practice with my group members, I have learned valuable things from that practice. If we do not practice a lot in doing microteaching, it is a matter of problem. We are not used to do it better and better. I want to be a teacher someday especially a good teacher that mastered the lesson well and also do not make the students feel under pressure. There are several important things which we are going to deal with in giving a reading material to our students. First, we must prepare well based on clear objective. We must know well what kind of achievement that would be got by our students in the end of the lesson. Then we must prepare all the materials about the reading lesson well and carefully. We must consider about the topic of the reading text itself, more interesting is better than nothing. We also must consider about the length of the reading text, and the most important one that we must build a key vocabulary items to help students in comprehending the material of reading.
In my microteaching that I conducted in my group (Ida, Pipin, Andhika as my students) I choose the text about “The Two New Species of Dinosaurs”, and the lesson begun by giving the key vocabulary. That was two new species of dinosaurs, one a quick-moving meat-eater and the other a giant-plant-eater, have been discovered in Antarctica. The purpose of the text was to know how far my students knowledge about a dinosaurs’ life, and also at the end of the lesson, students are able to understand about two new species that have been discovered in Antarctica. The objective of my lesson was the students should be able to recognize the form of news items. At least the know the generic structure that constructs the text.
The media which I used to teach my students was a picture of those two new species of dinosaurs. I let them to ask about its characteristics, and sometime I tried to describe their habitats, eats, etc. Moreover, I asked them to do the exercises below the text and after that they gave me the answer. The exercise was used to know how far my students were able to achieve the lesson objective.
The exercises are: 1. which of the following would be the best title? 2. The article above informs us about? 3. Which of the following statement is TRUE according to the text? 4. The main idea of the first paragraph is? 5. The following information is about the giant plant-eater dinosaurs, except?
The most mistakes that my students was tried to answer is the question number 1. I realized that I noticed that actually when we asked the students about the opinions, we should know that the opinion of each of our students is variety. I also realized that I should give more specific question that is the way to enable the students to get the objective of my lesson. It is a crystal clear that I improved well my way of teaching reading. But I succeeded in making a little bit mistakes in my reading question. My students are only doing a mistake in question number 1.
Next time I have to prepare more specific material for my microteaching. By facing a real problem of teaching reading lesson, I also learned the difficulty in giving proper question. I still need a time to practice better and better. Finally the next time I couldn’t have any similar problem in the way of my teaching reading. As we know that from the first sentence in this essay that teaching reading must be fun and easy going not get the students bored, unhappy, pessimistic, and under pressure. Then we have to teach our students maximally. Without any gap between students comprehension and the objective that we must intended to them.
Name : Galih Indra
ReplyDeleteNIM : 2201406597
Rombel : 06 (Wednesday 13.40)
Group : Galih Indra
Sepfiana Arum Dias Woro
Yanuaria
What is the objective of this lesson?
The objectives of the lesson are to enable the students to:
Identify what kind of text that will be learned.
In my lesson I will give each student a piece of paper and I’d like to ask them to discuss in group of four students. After that each group will present what have they discussed and answer some questions written on the white board.
Find the main idea, generic structure and grammatical features that used in the text.
After they presented the result of their discussion, I will give some explanation about what kind of text that I’ve given. I will explain what is the generic structure (orientation, complication, resolution, re-orientation and coda), the grammatical features like what tenses that were used, conjunction, direct command, indirect command, vocabulary and etc.
Write down the same text using another topic and own words on the piece of paper.
After I give some explanation, I will ask them to write down a simple text using their own words. The text should be correct in generic structure, grammatical features and the use of vocabulary. The text shouldn’t be very long but just in 300 or 400 words and should be correct in structure and grammar.
Retell their own text using good intonation and pronunciation in 7-10 minutes.
In this part I will ask them to retell, not read their own text in front of class for about seven until ten minutes. They should use good pronunciation and intonation so that I can measure their ability in pronouncing, spelling and intonation while they were speaking in front of class. Beside that I will also asses whether they master their text or not.
What is the reading passage about?
The text is a narrative text titled “King Midas”. It tells us about a king who lived in a kingdom with a queen and some consorts. He was very rich and well-known but he didn’t ever feel satisfied with all the things that he had. He wanted to become richer and richer and all of his desire must be done, if not he would give punishment to the one who are not able to do that. One day he went to somewhere and he received a message that he could become richer and richer just by touching and everything would change into gold. To get this power he should do some requirements and he finished all of the requirements. Everyday he just touching anything like wood, soil, glass and it is right that they changed into gold. He thought that if he gave gold to his citizenries they would be very happy. One day when he wanted to take a bath he touched water and the towel and they changed into gold. He was very confused and he wanted to loose his magic power but he can’t. Finally he realized that not only money and gold that could make us happy/feel peaceful so he asked a magician to loose the magic power. Finally he was able to loose it and he lived with his citizenry happily.
What kind of reading exercise that you prepare?
The reading exercises that I prepare are:
Short answer question which is contains 10 questions and the questions are based on the text that I have given. (It used for assessing their mastery of the text)
Filling the blanks space on a given paragraph. (It used for assessing their knowledge of vocabularies and their ability in using words (diction)
Writing test. Each student is asked to write down a text using correct generic structure and grammatical features (using their own topic). ( it used for assessing the students’ capability of writing)
Speaking test. I will asked some students to retell the story in front of class (retell, not reading). (It used for assessing the students’ fluency in speaking including pronunciation, intonation spelling and etc).
How effective was the exercise as you used them in the microteaching?
The exercise that I used in the microteaching is very effective. Even though the effectiveness is relatively judged, but we can see from the students’ progress in learning the text. By the exercise that I have given the students are not only able to understand the material but also they can improve their writing and speaking skill from the text in reading learning. Besides that, the students can get more information and knowledge after read and then answer the questions that follow the passage. The exercise can be the means to asses and to test the students’ understanding about the passage and also about the materials. I could also give an improvement about the moral value that taken from the text and explained to the students about what is the good and the bad thing or the right and wrong thing. And I wish students are able to apply them in their daily activities.
What have you learn from preparing the reading exercises and doing the microteaching?
It will be a challenging thing that I can do before I will be a real teacher in a school because in this teaching practice we should be able to decide what will be used for our teaching activities. The things that should be prepared are materials, media, and other preparations which must be ready before we teach our students. For me to be a teacher is a wonderful thing because we will be a model of learning and we will make an interaction with a lot of students that have different characteristics one another. We must be able to understand their characteristics fast and decide what method that could be used to teach them because if we don’t understand them it will be difficult for us to explain the materials. The progress of every student is different among one another although we start the lesson together. It because of the basic competence and their capability in receiving the material is different among one another so that as a teacher we should be wise if we deal with some problems in teaching.
What should you do to improve your material and the microteaching?
To improve the materials for my students I should learned from many sources such as internet, new books in some libraries and new information that I could find in electronic and printed media. We can’t use the ordinary materials because students will get bored of them and the objectives of the study won’t be reached. Student’s are in the age when they want to learn many things consequently we also something new for them if not they wouldn’t be interesting to our learning activities. As a young teacher we have to be creative in giving our students materials if we want to get the students’ attention. We should give them fresh materials every meeting and don’t forget to analyze their progress in learning English.
TEFL 2 ASSIGNMENT
ReplyDeleteUmmi Ashim Azzahra
2201406060
1st MICROTEACHING REFLECTION
Group work :
• Widya Oktarina and Anisa Eka Trihastuti
• Tiara Tisna Dewi and Nurul Falah Rahmawati
I did prepare news item entitled “Indonesian Student Stabs Professor, Found Dead in Singapore”. The reading passage is defined as news item. It was taken completely from the Jakarta Post site, dated on Monday, March 2nd, 2009, at 7:09 PM. The news item has reported David Hartanto’s tragedy that he stabbed his professor at Nanyang Technology University (NTU).
My own objectives in choosing this kind of reading passage was that my students (1) are able to define English news item, (2) are able to read and understand the content of news item, and (3) are able to understand moral values of news items.
I divided my lesson into :
1. Greeting and opening
2. Basic questioning :
DEAD What is in your mind when you hear this word?
How can we die?
JUMP TO DEATH What jump can make you die?
STAB How about causing anyone died?
Do you know this? (act pushing a pointed weapon into sb)
Have you ever think to stab sb or jump to your death?
See, this is what happened to David in this news item.
3. Giving reading exercise :
A. Answer the questions below!
a. What happened to the professor?
b. What happened to the student (David)?
c. When and where the tragedy was happened?
d. What did Indonesia foreign ministry spokesperson say?
e. What Fabian Ng had seen?
f. What moral value can you get from the news?
B. Match the words in the left column to the words in the right column!
C. What are the characteristics of news item?
4. Checking, reviewing, and closing
Based on my opinion, microteaching in ideal is a process of preface teaching work. It covers many soft skills in doing teaching rather than listen to our lecturer’s explanation about teaching. Microteaching in general is able to help us in acquiring oral competence and conducting a lesson.
Brown wrote in his “Teaching by Principles” (2001), Keep in mind that interactive, integrated approaches to language teaching emphasize the interrelationship of skills. Reading ability will be developed best in association with writing, listening, and speaking activities. Even in those courses that may be labeled “reading” your goals will be best achieved by capitalizing on the relationship of skills, especially the reading-writing connection
After reading Brown’s, I conclude that effective reading lesson is interactive and well integrating writing, listening, and speaking activities. However, I realized that my lesson plan and my microteaching were not completely full those two characteristics.
I did choose a reading passage material which wasn’t interesting for high school students. My group work members told me that my reading passage and exercises were not attractive at all. The news item was too difficult and clearly ineffective for reading activity at high school level. Truthfully, I understand that most of teenagers are attracted in reading about entertainment, such as movie, music, artist, etc. Yet, my reading lesson plan was my effort to find and organize “interesting” and “educating” reading passage. And I did not success on my first effort.
Therefore, I have a second reading lesson plan to be practiced. I am going to improve my material and method of teaching. My second lesson plan is about combining reading, listening, and writing activities within attractive theme. I planned to be more creative in order to make my student really appreciate studying English for the future.
Thank you very much for Mr Rohani as my best teacher. I would like to send my apologize for my late report. I will not give up and keep moving on to get my best method of teaching. I hope I can deliver an attraction to study English.